Etching Stencil question

turkeyshooter

I built one of those etchers & I have not been in the shop for awhile. Need a refresher. Is it AC setting for making the mark & DC for darkening or the other way around? Thanks in advance.

AC removes and redeposits metal 60 times a second. After a few seconds the metal gets dirty and ends up leaving a black mess (mark).

DC removes metal when the circuit is pointing the right direction and so you get a deep etch. It's important to know that the deep etch pads have little fibers that stick through the screen and help reach down further into the etch when removing metal. You can deep etch with a plain old cosmetic cotton makeup removal pad but it won't deep etch as well as a specifically made for deep etching pad.

DC will leave a white frosty mark when the circuit is "backwards" and you are using a carbon block for your electrode.

Tracy is correct about AC/DC. Also of note is the electrolyte used. 110A will leave a crisp white on stainless, 94 will leave a nice black. I've wasted a lot of time trying to get a black mark from 110a.

Last edited:
Back