"Feather" Cross-over

J. Neilson

I've done a heck of a lot of damascus but, hadn't done a "feather" pattern yet. Well, now I have..... might have to try some more of this one. Here's my first shot at "feather" on one of my "Cross-over" knives. Hope you like it.
J.

031.jpg

This Drop-point knife is a variation of my popular B.U.K (basic utility knife). This knife is slightly larger with a wider blade profile. The knife is 6 5/8" overall length with a 3" cutting edge. The knife is forged from 1095 & 15N20 high carbon steels done in a "Feather" pattern with a file worked thumb rest. The handle scales are A-grade Desert Ironwood Burl with a stainless steel handle bolts and lanyard liner. Also, a nice Paul Long pouch sheath.

033.jpg

034_713246.jpg

036.jpg

038_238101.jpg

043_441955.jpg

Very nice! I've been wanting to try a damascus knife but haven't make the plunge yet. How do you sand the scales flush with the spine without removing the etching? Are the scales proud?
Brad

Hey Brad, I don't use pins on my knives (I just don't trust them to secure scales over time, I think epoxy should only seal a knife, not hold it together), I prefer to use handle bolts. When I'm doing an etched blade I make a set of "dummy bolts", then I grind the entire piece, remove the scales and then etch the whole blade. After etching, I set the scale and then all I need to to is knock down the bolt heads and hand-rub the finished handle. I like this method because I hate seeing a wonderfully etched knife with a shiney tang and back spine.
Hope this made sense,
J.

Beautiful work- love the feather and that wood is gorgeous- and the sheath tops off the whole package nicely.

I really like the way you finished the damascus around the handle. Most often with a full tang knife I notice the makers leaving the area around the handle shinny and not etching it. Very good job and a beautiful piece.

Back