Finally, Perfect flat grinds

Ernie Swanson

SASSY PINK LUUNCHBOX KNIFE MAKER
This is A flat grinding jig that I have been working on and finished it this morning. I had to also grind a blade to test it out.
I must say it works pretty darn good2thumbs

All you do it put a knife in it and set your angle by adjusting the wing nuts.
I ground one blade at about 4 degree angle from 90.
I glued leather to the inside of each clamping piece for a better hold.

Sorry for the crappy looking welds, my big welders speed knob broke and my helmet is at work!!

002-18.jpg

001-21.jpg

003-30.jpg

004-23.jpg

005-18.jpg

006-14.jpg

009-12.jpg

Ernie, Thats slick as snot!! Smooth as goose feathers, and just plain cool! Nice job!

How does it work? I didnt see a ground blade?? pics please..

Ernie only thing I see to improve it is to make a guide that also is part of your work table on the grinder. That way you cannot flex the jig from side to side and have it cut into one part of the blade more than the other.

Ernie, that looks very helpful. If I understand right, the wingnut is moved to adjust the angle and the base is held in place or moved by the maker as he grinds. Its very cool to see you thinking things out and being innovative!

Looking at it, if I have everything else correct in my head, I think adding a contoured crossbar would give you better control and less fatigue. Here is my basic idea.

SwansonJigwithcrossbar.jpg

If you like it, run with it.

Ernie, Thats slick as snot!! Smooth as goose feathers, and just plain cool! Nice job!

How does it work? I didnt see a ground blade?? pics please..

I will get some pics up soon!!
Nice jig.
You plan on making any for resale.
If I get any interest I would make a few more!

Ernie only thing I see to improve it is to make a guide that also is part of your work table on the grinder. That way you cannot flex the jig from side to side and have it cut into one part of the blade more than the other.
I thought of that, making a groove and a guide but then I could only grind 1 thickness of steel. if I were to just make a clamped guide that would work but I like the little bit of freehand I get with it in its current state.

Ernie, that looks very helpful. If I understand right, the wingnut is moved to adjust the angle and the base is held in place or moved by the maker as he grinds. Its very cool to see you thinking things out and being innovative!

Looking at it, if I have everything else correct in my head, I think adding a contoured crossbar would give you better control and less fatigue. Here is my basic idea.

SwansonJigwithcrossbar.jpg

If you like it, run with it.
Thanks Rock, yep thats how it works, Just move the wing nuts to adjust angle.
I actually hold the jig in one hand and then I still have a magnet on the blade that I hold with the other hand, This gives me lots of control.

Ernie, I'm looking a bit more at your blade fixture,. While it eliminates an adjustable table, it seems you will have to remove the blade and put it on the other side of your jig. Getting the same alignment could be very difficult for some blades such as spear points. I belive the tilting table with the blade NOT needing to be changed from one side to the other of the blade holding fixture is much easier to use and will help maintain better grinds on both sides of the blade. Frank

Frank,
One thing I did do is measure spin to table and point to table when I First put the blade in the jig that way I could have it the same when I switched sides.

Here are some more pics, A few showing how much it moves and then some of the blade I ground earlier.

I still have to work the blade a bit more but I am way further than I would be by doing it freehand.:D

012-9.jpg

013-8.jpg

016-7.jpg

017-5.jpg

018-3.jpg

020-2.jpg

023-5.jpg

That looks like it works PERFECT! Thanks for posting the pics for me! Im really learning alot from KD and all the great makers on this site!

KD ROCKS!

Ernie, I've never used a jig so please excuse my ignorance. Do you just slide the jig back and forth across the table. If so, is there a fence or something to slide the jig against or do you free hand that part. Thanks for the post. Danny

Looks great, Ernie! I'm trying to get my head around what the magnet is used for and how. It doesn't look like my idea is needed at all from your results!

What does the small hinge laying on the bolt do?

Very interesting, Big Ern. It's challenging to find ways to get knives ground evenly.

How's your jig work with full-distal-taper blades? The geometry gets a little complicated and I think it would still require a good deal of eyeballing/feel. I could be wrong of course.

In any case, I'm not tryin' to rain on your parade, bro! I admire your dedication very much.

Ernie, I've never used a jig so please excuse my ignorance. Do you just slide the jig back and forth across the table. If so, is there a fence or something to slide the jig against or do you free hand that part. Thanks for the post. Danny

Yeah I just free hand it, Sliding it back and fourth on the table.

Looks great, Ernie! I'm trying to get my head around what the magnet is used for and how. It doesn't look like my idea is needed at all from your results!

What does the small hinge laying on the bolt do?
The Top hinge allows more movement, I probably would not need it for what little It needs to move but it alows for full pivot without binding.
I just use a magnet on the blade to aid in control. It is a large magnet with a handle that I hold onto.

Very interesting, Big Ern. It's challenging to find ways to get knives ground evenly.

How's your jig work with full-distal-taper blades? The geometry gets a little complicated and I think it would still require a good deal of eyeballing/feel. I could be wrong of course.

In any case, I'm not tryin' to rain on your parade, bro! I admire your dedication very much.
Not sure how it works on all blades yet I still need to try more out!!

Looks good. Maybe you could put locating pins or a "shelf" in the knife clamp for the spine to rest on. It would save time then you switch sides. I'm using a piece of 1" angle iron clamped to my tool rest as a guide. Yours is more sophisticated.

Ernie
I have a jig somewhat like that and i take a pencil and run a square line on the belt, a heavy line to make sure it is in the same spot for both sides.
the thing that makes mine different is that i put a shelf on mine between the leather for the blade to sat on so they are the same on both sides.
i use a angle iron on my grinder to slide the jig on, it is about 3' long
i tilt the platen for my angle i want,
I have a stop clamped on the angle to keep me from going to far and messing up my plunge.
Some of my blades i profile the edge side first and leave the back side till its done and then profile the rest.
Just my way.

vern

Last edited:
Love it Ernie....looks like it functions great. You have my wheels turning on this one!

Back