first real successful feather pattern

jblauvelt

I'd be pretty happy with that too. I think that the feather is one of the best looking patterns going today.

How 'bout posting pictures of the ones that didn't turn out the way you wanted so we have something to compare to?

My first go I got the billet split. but when I went to re weld I had a weld fail. chased it a bit but couldn't re weld it. ended up with two little blades. My second go, I was able to split and re-weld but I think I was so pleased with myself I got over zealous in drawing out the feather and some shunts appeared at weld lines. Again, I salvaged what I could and ended up with two knives. This go I was more conscious of soak times and drew it out using only a hammer and anvil instead of the press. One small shunt did appear while drawing out the blade shape so I stopped there and chose to do more stock removal and less forge shaping. I really like this pattern and plan to do more. The billet was made from 6 pieces of 1095, 1/4 x 1.5 x 3.5 and 11 pieces of 15n20 at .06 x 1.5 x 3.5. yielding a blade 1/4" at the riccaso 1.25 x 7. I still haven't quite got my head wrapped around where the material goes during this this process. .75 sf of material to make a 7 inch blade.

jblauvelt

I'd be pretty happy with that too. I think that the feather is one of the best looking patterns going today.

How 'bout posting pictures of the ones that didn't turn out the way you wanted so we have something to compare to?

IMG_1834.jpg here is what the first billet yielded. Part of the billet yielded a good feather albeit, small. The other blade was the portion of the billet I did not split. Put a deep etch on it and I like how it looks. I have been using it daily at work.

IMG_1846.jpg

These two are from the second go. The drop point made a nice blade. What was left was the butt end of the billet and was pretty much just squashed W's. Forged it out pretty thin to get the length but don't really care for how it looks. sorry about the lousy photo's, Mamma is getting short with me having my photo booth on the dinner table. hehe

Back