Flat W2......

M.Olexey

I was wanting to try some W2 out for some wicked hamon action but...being a stock removal guy, I like to work with flat stock and as you may or may not know, W2 is only available in round bar.

So I check out Don Hanson's site and he has W2 in 2.5" round stock. Not that I don't like grinding but, I'm thinking I might waste a little too much if I try to grind it flat :p :D

Turns out there's a guy Don works with (Michael Volund) that uses his power hammer to beat it flat for guys like me.

I had to buy 40 llbs but what the heck. I can always use more steel :bud:

img_3551.jpg

I had him beat it into 1.75-2" wide pices that are 3/16th's to 1/4" thick. It looks great. Very consistent thickness and very flat. Can't wait to make something with it.

mo

Thats a lovely sight to see2thumbs

Please tell me you have a couple choppers in mind. + WIPworking 1urock1

Nice score buddy.

Chris AKA 45Warrior:D:eek:

that's the first flat w2 I've seen in a couple years...

That is the most I have ever seen flat. Still have two pieces I am saving. Would love to get more but can't do 40 lbs.

I have a piece of W2 that's flat. Phillip Patton forged it down and gave it to me when I met him over the summer. Waiting until I have a GOOD way to HT, so I can get a hamon out of it.

I was wanting to try some W2 out for some wicked hamon action but...being a stock removal guy, I like to work with flat stock and as you may or may not know, W2 is only available in round bar.

So I check out Don Hanson's site and he has W2 in 2.5" round stock. Not that I don't like grinding but, I'm thinking I might waste a little too much if I try to grind it flat :p :D

Turns out there's a guy Don works with (Michael Volund) that uses his power hammer to beat it flat for guys like me.

I had to buy 40 llbs but what the heck. I can always use more steel :bud:

img_3551.jpg

I had him beat it into 1.75-2" wide pices that are 3/16th's to 1/4" thick. It looks great. Very consistent thickness and very flat. Can't wait to make something with it.

mo

Unless he is using somebody new, Don uses Michael Pikula to hammer his W2 flat for his customers. He does a great job.

Last edited:
I found some at knife kits but, its 2" wide x 24' x 5/16" or close

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/product_info.php?cPath=46_171&products_id=1059 Ill be dam ! I just bought some , now they are out !! glad I got some .sorry

Knife kits uses Diehl Steel's W2. I personally do not like this steel one bit. The chemistry is way off from what Diehl's website says it is.
I had it analyzed, to see what the heck was going on with this steel, and if anybody's interested in the actual composition, I'll be glad to post it.

We'd be interested in both- whats the difference in the steel makeup- as well as WHO did you have analyze it.

Knife kits uses Diehl Steel's W2. I personally do not like this steel one bit. The chemistry is way off from what Diehl's website says it is.
I had it analyzed, to see what the heck was going on with this steel, and if anybody's interested in the actual composition, I'll be glad to post it.

A local Fastenal store sent it out for analysis. Here's what they came up with:

C = .96

Si = .234

Mn = .263

P = .019

S = .008

Cr = .147

Ni = .112

M0 = .025

Al = .027

Cu = .149

Co = .006

Ti = .002

V = .164

W = .028

Fe = 97.8

Attachments

• Diehl W2 analysis.jpg
    Diehl W2 analysis.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 7
Unless he is using somebody new, Don uses Michael Pikula to hammer his W2 flat for his customers. He does a great job.

That is correct. Does he go by Volund Forge? Where did I get that from unsure

Thanks for the correction and yes he does do a great job.

mo

A local Fastenal store sent it out for analysis. Here's what they came up with:

C = .96

Si = .234

Mn = .263

P = .019

S = .008

Cr = .147

Ni = .112

M0 = .025

Al = .027

Cu = .149

Co = .006

Ti = .002

V = .164

W = .028

Fe = 97.8

very Interesting , I have been buying thier steel ( W-2) for a few years , never had any problems ? they could have a different forge that they are getting it from . with all those alloys especially manganese it would be difficult to produce a good hamon .thats too bad ,I guess I will look for another source for W-2 . thanks for info .sorry for crappy pics my camera is acting funny

Back