Forged texture on chefs/ kitchen knife

Noellaflamme

So, I was wondering if leaving a clean forged texture on a chefs knife, or something with a similar function would help with food sticking to the blade when cutting. I also would probably wire brush and slightly polish the forged texture so its clean and smooth, but still dimpled from the forging process.

Thanks for any experience or input on this, its greatly appreciated.

Noel

It'll help....but in just the opposite way you're thinking! :) All the "texture" will be a place for food to "hide".

The best thing I've found to date, to keep food from sticking to culinary cutlery is a good coat of wax....something like caranuba wax. I can't recall the last time I ever put oil on any knife blade. ;)

Birchwood makes a gunstock wax that is beeswax, carnuba and silicon. But it reads harmful if swallowed so I'm not sure it would be best for kitchen knives. Just noticed that!:oops:

Birchwood makes a gunstock wax that is beeswax, carnuba and silicon. But it reads harmful if swallowed so I'm not sure it would be best for kitchen knives. Just noticed that!:oops:
I would think that once it has been applied to a knife blade it would be stable enough and dilute enough that it would be hard to hurt you. “The solution to pollution is dilution

It'll help....but in just the opposite way you're thinking! :) All the "texture" will be a place for food to "hide".

The best thing I've found to date, to keep food from sticking to culinary cutlery is a good coat of wax....something like caranuba wax. I can't recall the last time I ever put oil on any knife blade. ;)
what if most of the texture is polished out? so like the hammer marks are there just smoothed out and the scale pattern is polished away?

So, I was wondering if leaving a clean forged texture on a chefs knife, or something with a similar function would help with food sticking to the blade when cutting. I also would probably wire brush and slightly polish the forged texture so its clean and smooth, but still dimpled from the forging process.

Thanks for any experience or input on this, its greatly appreciated.

Noel

There are culinary knives covered in dimples to reduce “stiction”. It’s a logical idea, but in reality more of an aesthetic. The geometry of the bevel pushes the food away, so it ought not be touching the flat of the blade where the dimples are. Anything soft enough to follow around that angle to stick is going to be wet and sticky enough to stick anyway, because it’s wet and sticky.

I can tell you that a mirror finish does stick more than a 600 grit satin finish. But again, the stickiness of the food makes much more difference than the finish.

I’m with Ed- dimples are just places for schmoo to hide. A nice slick blade can be cleaned with the wipe of a damp rag.

Hearing about waxing the blades just gave me a interesting but possible stupid idea... what If you season a finished knife (before handle) at your tempering temp. So oil the blade then back in the oven... anyone ever try that or is there something. Besides not being able to repair this finish after use that I'm overlooking

Hearing about waxing the blades just gave me a interesting but possible stupid idea... what If you season a finished knife (before handle) at your tempering temp. So oil the blade then back in the oven... anyone ever try that or is there something. Besides not being able to repair this finish after use that I'm overlooking
If it is like a cast iron skillet, you will have to eventually re-season right? It doesn't last forever.

Back