Found A Surface Grinder

SPAknives

Hey Fellors,
I have been keeping my eye open for a surface grinder. I found one about 120 miles away for $500 buck. I thought that was a pretty good price. It is a Ried 6"x18" with a magnetic chuck. The guy said he bought it used in 1975ish and it still runs great but he needed a larger one for his machine shop. I think I am going to go look at it in the next few days. Does this sound like a good deal? What should I look for on the the machine to make sure it is not completely wore out. Thanks For any help, Shane

Hey Shane

YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously.....

$500 is a steel for a Reid if it's in good shape.

Be sure it runs. Then check out the ways and the spindle bearings.
Then load it up and bring it to my house!!

Steve's just messing with you! What he really meant to say was "Load it up and take to ED"S SHOP! :D

Seriously, just make sure you check it out good...a sloppy surface grinder is useless, and in some cases it costs more to repair a worn machine than it does to buy a new one!

Many times you can get great deals on machines just because of the size and weight....people are just looking to get rid of them, and have somebody else do all the grunt work of moving it.

If you find its just too large for you, let me know...I got a nice little 6x12" that I could trade! :bud:

Shane

That sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Other than what has been mentioned, make sure you have the capability to power it up. It is very likely 3 phase.

Brian

That's a good price, it just about pays for the chuck.

Even if it is 3 phase, you can power it with a VFD for a reasonable cost.

According to "Nathan the Machinist" the motors on S-grinders are specially balanced and it is much cheaper to add a VFD than buy the proper special motor.

See if they will throw in the tools for changing the wheel and the diamond holder with a diamond for truing it. If you have to buy new, they add up too.

Hey Steve and Ed, I think you guys better load up and come down here to show me how to use it if I do get it.
Thanks for all input fellors I think I am going to check it out on Tuesday. It is 3 phase and I am hoping it will run decent with a static phase converter.

Ok Shane now you are going high tech. Can't wait to hear if you got it. Then we need pics and pics of you running it. Pics of the knives grinding and so on. Guess you would need a new camara to, so better just let me come up and take it off your hands and you just go buy the new camara. LOL

Back