Harley Chain billet

TJ Smith

1stharleychain.jpg

1st attempt at forging Harley Chain into a billet or blade.
I used Ariel Salaverria’s canister method.
I used a piece of 15N20 in the center with 2 rows of chain stacked on each side.
A piece of steel tube for the canister.
Put the chain and 15N20 in and added 1084 powder vibrated to fill all the air pockets.
I heated it up to a good very bright yellow. Then pressed it flat. Started at 1.5 inches down to 3/8 inches.
I didn’t press from the spine to edge as I didn’t want to distort the links.
Ended up with some voids an unwelded areas. I don’t consider this usable.
What do you think ?What can I do to make a better billet?
I like the pattern and am going to try another.
Thank you
TJ Smith

whats wrong with this one? or are you just looking for other patterns? i like the look of this pattern as is.

Yes I like the pattern.
Problem is there are several spots that didn't weld and you can see the lines. Also 2-3 voids on each side.Still tempted to finish it. The cutting edge is solid.
thanks for the reply
TJ Smith

That looks cool. I have never tried a motorcycle chain. I think I would heat treat it, just to learn from it. test it to destruction and give it a second go using what you have learned from this round!

most any Harley guy would buy that blade, voids and all. It will cut, it will look fantastic and generate dozens of conversations. Finish it and make another one.

well randy after you did that fork lift chain i sent you a Mir Harley should be no prob. hey guys could the voids be lack of heat or time soaked i am still trying myself so slow minds want to now so, give it up :p i still got 6 feet of fork lift chain to try :)

Last edited:
I would love to have a good billet with that pattern, man that would look awesome and Harley guy's would be fighting over it lol.

Thanks for the replys guy.
Last Xmas we went to my Daughter's for Xmas. Her long time boy freind is really into Harleys. He's got boots, hats, shirts, and all kinds of harley stuff. He don't have a Harley Chain knife.
I can fix that. So after a lot of work and some expense i came up with this knife. I like the pattern, and the way the powered 1084 fills in. I'm going to finish this one for me. I'll make another for him and try to eliminate some fault.
Temperature could be it.
I found my K couple thermometer so we'll check that out.
Also going to line the canister with SS foil so the weld won't stick to the blank.
Will do a little pressing on the spine to put pressure on all areas without deforming the chain to bad.(I hope)
Thanks for the advice and comments.
Will post picks
Take Care
TJ Smith

I've done HD primary chain in this manner and like it a lot; I do get better welds when I grind the pins off and take the chain apart.

Thanks Fred. Do you not use the rollers then?
Take care
TJ Smith

I use the rollers and pins, I just take them apart. I use stailless steel cans with 1084 powder for the filler. The powder flows around all the parts which makes for better welds.

Fred

TJ
Just curious, did you give it a good soak time? Also by what % did you reduce the can? I've always understood that if a can was reduced by 1/3 and at a proper heat it should weld.
I've also used a slurry of satinite in my cans to help the can from welding to the billet so bad, sometimes it works others it don't! What are other folks trying inside their cans to keep the weld separate?

Thanks and God Bless
Mike

Thanks Mike
I started with a 1.5 inch tubeand reduced it to 1/4 inch. I only pressed flat, no spine to edge compression. I wanted to save the roller shape as much as possible.Next one I will do some spine to edge pressing. I think this will stretch the links out longways but keep them reccognizable. Will post.
SS foil lining the canister will stop welding to the can. That way i can go to a thinner billet. About 3/8 i'm thinking.
We'll see what happens.
Thanks Guys for the advice.
Take care
TJ Smith

I would say pay a bit more attention to your soak time, and possibly an initial higher heat. I never did HD chain but did some fork lift lift chain and a LOT of chainsaw. I agree with not distorting the pattern too much, but I would defiantly work the edges a bit. Are you using a press? if so, one suggestion I would recommend is limiter plates of say 1/4" plate. stack the up on both sides and only press a 1/4" at a time. This makes sure you are moving the can the same amount each bite of the press. Once I started using them my patterns worked out much better. Also was the chain clean? What mesh (size) powder are you using? I use to get mine from Kelly Cupples and it was the consistency of flour or talc powder, super fine. Always had better luck with the finer stuff. After saying all this, you may be doing it all perfectly right and just a bum billet! As they say, just heat it and beat it! But take notes!

Good Luck and God Bless
Mike

Back