Has anyone seen this wood before, if so? CAN YOU NAME IT???

I got this the other day! Decent prices and a better selection of sizes! Thanks for the info & tips Xander, it's so nice to have some serious conversation about the topic instead of sarcasm! For those of y'all that were interested in this post and for all my Wood Junkies out there! Here is what I coincidentally, got the other day. If you aren't familiar with Cook's Wood, they are a great outfit, GUARANTEED to impress with their wide selection of EVERYTHING, WOOD!
BTW, Randy Haas! You're gonna LOVE this company, if you don't already know about them!
Below is THEIR info & write up on this BEAUTIFUL wood! I also included a link to their website, just for your convenience!

XF Himalayan Golden Teak Burl
Extremely Rare!

CLICK TO ENTER
http://www.cookwoods.com/lumbersite/shop/category/turning-specials/

Golden Teak burl, Gmelia arborea, is rarely seen on the World market. It grows in the western low land Himalayas in a variety of forest habitats, including tropical semi-evergreen, and deciduous forests. It also occurs in low alluvial savannah woodlands. The tree demands lots of sun, although it can tolerate some shade. It is moderately tolerant to frost and recovers quickly from frost injuries. The tree shows a preference for moist fertile valleys and grows best on high silt deposits near rivers. It does not thrive where the drainage is poor, while on dry, sandy or otherwise poor soil it remains stunted and is apt to assume little more than a shrubby form because of repeated dying back through drought. These are the trees that produce the best burls as the tree is under stress. Flowers produce abundant nectar, which produces high-quality honey.
When first cut, the wood is golden- to reddish-white, turning light russet or yellowish-brown with a density of 400-560 kg/cubic m. The wood seasons well without degrading, but it is slow to dry both in the open and in a kiln. Bark incursions are normal for the species. The wood is ideal for turning as visual and working properties are similar to Amboyna burl.

The wood in this special has been slowly air dried for two years and is wax sealed. There are incursions in all blanks that are normal for the species. All of the wood is workable and can make exquisite jewelry boxes, duck calls, pens, and more. Please see grading below:

Clear: 90% free of incursions or other small checks that generally turn away.
Mostly clear: 70-80% clear of incursions or small checks that may or may not turn away.
www.cookwoods.com

Open Monday through Friday 8:30am to 5:00pm

1650 E. Main St. Klamath Falls, OR 97601
541-273-0925

Click here to update your information or stop future mailings.
Obviously, there is a weekly newsletter you can sign up for, and do suggest it! This weeks wood is a STUNNER! Go check it out and look at the "SPECIALS"!

Cook Woods
1650 East Main St.
Klamath Falls, OR 97601

Back