Heat Treating CPM154 Slipjoint Springs

Plas62

I am going to be sending some CPM154 slipjoint blades and springs out to Peters for heat treat.

I am going to have the blades HT'd to 60-61RC.

Does 46-48RC sound about right for the springs?

Jim

I've been chasing this answer for ten years I bet.
what I see is usually 45 to 50HRC and then you adjust the thickness of the spring to your knife action. I probably see 45 mentioned more than anything. Much softer and you get deformation, harder than 50, it will work but then you run the increased risk of the spring breaking over time.

Thanks for the replies, I'll probably go for the lower end, 45-46RC as the springs for the Lanny's Clip I'm making are pretty thick.

I've been on and off on this project for close to a year now. Seems to be more off than on. I have eight slipjoint sets ready for heat treat along with two flipper blades. Hopefully I can get these sent off in the next week and get them back in time to have one or two complete before the Blade Show.

Good thing I don't do this for a living. I'd starve to death. :biggrin:

Please be aware that the hrc doesn't count for the stiffness of the spring...
It is just the thickness that rules how stiff the spring will be.
The hardness will tell just if the spring will not be able to return true after flexing and will loose its shape (<45 hrc) or if it will be too brittle and risk breaking in the long run (>50 hrc).
I hope it helps

Back