HI

sfowler49

Hi. My name is Shawn Fowler. I've been making knives (If you can call it that) since I was in Junior High, but have only recently gotten to where I think they are half way decent. It's a part time thing for me know, but I would like to make a living at it some day. I have a web page that is in it's very early stages and a Facebook page. I am exited to get good advice from the experience knife makers out there and am looking forward to any helpful advice. One problem I am having right now that has me perplexed is that when I drill holes they are tapered wider at the top than at the bottom. I am suspicious that this may be due to low quality drill bits. I wasn't having the problem in the past. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Shawn and welcome to the dog pound. This truley is a good place for information and sharing the love of knife making.
Have you checked the sharpness of your drill bits? It could be that you are over heating the bits as you drill through. Use cutting fluid and sharp bits for precise through holes.
It is also important to understand speed and feed rates for drilling based on bit size and material. Personally I have never experienced this, so I am winging it.

Welcome to the pack. There is a ton of great information here that can be searched. If you have problems finding answers, feel free to ask and someone will either chime in with an answer or point you in the right direction. I highly recommend checking out the links Bill provided.

Thanks a lot for the info. I tried a different bit and it worked better. I was using a set my father in law gave me for Christmas. It was sure nice of him to get them for me, but I don't think they are real high quality. I'll check out the links. Thanks again.

welcome.gif

Hey Shawn. Welcome to the Dogs. As for the drill bits.......I buy from MSC. They get to us in one day and dont charge extra for that service. Stop by sometime and we'll talk knives over a cup of joe.
Kevin.

Thanks. It's appreciated. I'm still trying to work my way through things. I'm not that great when it comes to computers and stuff.

That sounds great Kevin. Thanks for the offer and the info. Where at in Montana are you from? I live in Wilsall, which is about 30 miles north of Livingston.

Back