How do you grind?

I am going to heat treat the blade on Thursday. I am going to add bolsters. I was going to use Shokwood and using corby's. Also though about using wood(Cherry Scales)

I am going to heat treat the blade on Thursday. I am going to add bolsters. I was going to use Shokwood and using corby's. Also though about using wood(Cherry Scales)

Sounds fine! That shok wood is pretty stuff. I was buying it direct from Tom, I think you have a batch with 3/8" thick scales headed to you now if not there already? You want to use the thicker stuff. That 1/4" thick stuff is folder and hide out knife material.

Thank You for the information. That knife was made out of 154CM. Here is another knife I just finished it is out of Elmax.

Knife1.jpg

Knife2.jpg

I am starting to grind my 4th knife this week. I did not get a chance to heat treat my blades last week I should get them done this week and I will post the pictures after heat treating.

Nice little B & T looking knife. You mean Bossdog has you working there? No time just to play with learning to make knives?:3:

1. Get or make a jig

2. Use the jig

A novice with a jig beats a free hand all day, every day.

Yes, Bossdog has me working here there is no time for play.

i hear Bossman is a softie to work for. donuts, coffee and extended breaks w/wifi

I've heard they even have a catered lunch brought in for everyone on Fridays. The local five star restaurants rotate so its Italian one Friday, French the next….

maybe not every week.
We do that once a month.
Otherwise it is stale bread and water.

Here are my blades after being heat treated. I now need to clean them up. I will post more pictures.

HeatTreatedKnives 2 (3).jpg

Going to start working on my bolsters on Wednesday once I get them done and on the knife I will take another picture. I am starting to grind another knife once I get this one done. I am going to finish the other knives before I grind again. I have 5 knives started but none done yet. I am starting to enjoy grinding even though it takes me a long time.

Back