How do you keep copper from tarnishing?

Gahagan

I have a knife I am working on that has copper gaurds and I would like them to stay the bright copper color. How do you keep it from tarnishing short spraying with clear coat?
(Not finished yet need to do somemore sanding)
009.jpg

Last edited:
That's about all you can do for copper.....aside from a routine schedule of polishing. Waxing will help a little, but copper is so susceptible to oxidation, nothing short of an air tight coating will prevent the tarnish.

Polishing with Brasso or Flitz is about the same thing I think. Anyway the polishing with Brasso leaves a slight paste on it too. That will protect it for a while and it will patina later pretty much evenly. The problem with spraying is it scratches off and thats where the patina starts, giving it some weird effects!

You can also do a controlled patina and get some really cool colors with copper.

Don't make me lie to either of you as to how to do it. I know there is a japanese patina recipe that was used to patina copper, shakudo, mokume, and such using ginger root and a few other things. There are a wide range of colors you can get with the different patina mixtures (purple, red, black, etc).

Thanks for posting the link. I knew you could do it, I had just forgotten the source for the recipes. I don't believe this is the site I was referring to, but it sure works has alot of the same info.

Back