How is everyone holding up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin Presson

Hey guys just checking in and seeing how everyone is holding up in this unprecedented time?
I have young kids 5 and 8 years old trying to home school them and working mostly from home and going into work only when I need to so about 1/4 of the time I'm on site. Wife is a nurse and she is 50/50 split with her role. Kids miss school so bad, it has been 3 weeks since they were in school.
Things are tough right now. But we are managing and thankfully both still employeed and healthy so we are truckin along.

How is everyone else doing with work, kids, going to the store, physically and mentally?

Stay safe
JP

Well Justin. Things aren't awfully different around this little farm. Still gotta keep up with chores, and mending broken stuff and cutting firewood . Still, I guess me and the wife are anti social just calling it quarantine! All these years of quarantine....who knew?

Bit of a mixed bag here. Being retired I'm not out as much as those who are working so that part is good. On the other hand I'm in a more at risk group. And my wife doubly so. Her immune is quite low. So I'm very careful when I do leave the house.

I'll admit to being a bit stir crazy at this point. Normally this time of the year is when I would start wanting out after winter. But we're doing OK. Hanging in there.

Still going to work as certain aerospace stuff is considered essential. My wife works from home and we homeschool our 2 kids, so not much changed on that front. Everyone is hanging in there.

I'm only essential to my family, especially the grandbabies! ;-))
Getting great shop time amid the honeydo's.
Stay healthy all of you.

Scott

My wife and I both work for the American Family Association. She’s a staff writer for The Journal and I’m a radio producer. She’s been working from home for three weeks and the radio side is running with a skeleton crew. I’ve been working every other day from 12-6pm. We are both being paid our full salary and have been ensured we will for the duration. That is a huge blessing! One son is a teacher and baseball coach. His wife is a principle and with school being out they have both been home and doing ok. The other son works for Kroger. He’s the one I worry about.

I'm an MD in a small town, so my crew and I are working pretty much as usual with the added burden of the infection precautions.
So far we have had only two cases of covid-19 but we are expecting more to surface in the next two weeks. The first was a 79 year old lady who had to call EMS while she was having a family reunion with over 100 people. She is on a ventilator right now.
Be careful folks, this stuff is no joke.
When I get a day off I try to spend most of it in my shop!
Been digging a trench today to run a water line so I have running water in the shop.
After that all I need is a recliner and a big flat screen TV!

I'm holding up Ok!! Finally started to try and organize my mess I call a shop!! Been cooking a lot running my Smoker. The worst part about this whole thing is my GF works at a hospital, I have elderly parents that I help. They dont understand why I dont go and see them every couple of days (like I use too) and hang out with them! I've tried to explain but I feel like they think I just dont want to be there! I'm afraid that I may infect and kill them!! So I'm a little stressed about that! Anyway I'm hoping this will all end sooner than later!!

I'm retired and a bit of a hermit by nature but it's one thing staying around the house because I want to and another thing entirely having to do it because someone says that I have to and knowing that there's no where to go if I did go out. The dance group that I go to has had to suspend all activities until further notice and where I go to for violin lesions has stopped face-to-face lesions. I'm also waiting for a book on making poll arms that I ordered just before all this started. I was worried that it would end up stuck in some warehouse somewhere and I was right. When I go to the Amazon website all I get is "sorry for the inconvenience" and that the book is non-refundable (like $107).

We are doing pretty well. We try to not go out at all! Hardly preppers, but after Katrina when I saw that desolate black lady sitting on a curb surrounded by a few meager possessions being interviewed by some news channel saying something to the effect of "I'm just waiting for somebody to come and help me!". I knew I never wanted to be in her shoes. After that we began a small but concerted monthly effort to start "disaster preparedness". Over the years we learned to only stock what we use and to rotate it religiously. We added a few long term supplies. Also we live in the desert so we installed a rainwater harvesting system. So we are probably doing better than many. Whole Foods through Amazon has been fairly regular with fresh produce deliveries as well. Though I do worry about what's to come if all the people out of work run out of money or the FSA runs out of free stuff.

YMMV

We are doing good. I am still going to the cabinet shop and working every day. My oldest daughter, a senior this year, is working with me. I have locked the door to walk-ins, so we get by without contact with others. My wife is a high school math teacher, so it has been a lot of work for her to get switched over to online teaching. But she gets to stay home, so that's a plus. My youngest daughter, a 7th grader, wanted to give up school for lent, so she is fine with everything. My son graduated college in December and started his job in January as corn milling supervisor in Crete, NE. He is living in Lincoln, so he is the one I worry about the most.

I think my family is finally seeing the plus of being a sort of prepper. We have only had to buy the extras along with eggs, milk and butter.

We are doing good. I am still going to the cabinet shop and working every day. My oldest daughter, a senior this year, is working with me. I have locked the door to walk-ins, so we get by without contact with others. My wife is a high school math teacher, so it has been a lot of work for her to get switched over to online teaching. But she gets to stay home, so that's a plus. My youngest daughter, a 7th grader, wanted to give up school for lent, so she is fine with everything. My son graduated college in December and started his job in January as corn milling supervisor in Crete, NE. He is living in Lincoln, so he is the one I worry about the most.

I think my family is finally seeing the plus of being a sort of prepper. We have only had to buy the extras along with eggs, milk and butter.
That is good to hear Gene, how is the senior doing missing those big moments in high school like Prom and I assume there will not be a graduation walk?

That is good to hear Gene, how is the senior doing missing those big moments in high school like Prom and I assume there will not be a graduation walk?

The first few days were rough, but she has handled it really well. I think keeping her busy at the shop has helped. She has also jumped in and helped with things at school that she wasn’t involved in before such as the yearbook.
We have told the kids that when they graduate, we would take a vacation to wherever they want to go. We had just booked a house in Estes park, Colorado for the middle of June. It’s not looking good for that right now.
I think at some point they will have a graduation. Some type of prom will probably occur to, whether the school does it or a group of parents. As long as we get a break in this at some point before college starts that is.

Things are ok out here, just not sure what to expect as this progresses. We have a lot of full houses and kids living with Grandparents. Travel is restricted, school is closed, stores are still open even though they are privately owned in people's houses. We can still go out and do everything we need for subsistence even partnering up with other people. Wondering if we need to grow food this summer.

I'm a missionary/pastor part time in two villages (populations 150/250) 12 miles apart with no roads - just access trails. The village we were just in was a little slow to move on this and I felt travel wasn't stopped soon enough in our borough. They're testing 20 people - 10 have come back negative and information is transparent as far as I can tell. I made it back to our home village just about the time the travel restrictions went into affect. That includes, family (6 kids), dogs, tools (my grinder), homeschool stuff, and a few repairs around the house.

I wasn't able to bring the dog houses though. So my kids rolled up big snowballs and dug them out as dens for the dogs.

Attachments

• 012 (2).jpg
    012 (2).jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    507.9 KB · Views: 5
Thanks, Bruce. Spellcheck can save you when you spell the word wrong but not when you spell the wrong word. I went back and edited it.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back