I am about to order a small wheel attachment

I have the 1,2 and 3 inch and have never used them since I bought my machine. I use the wheels on the platten to do my slack belt sanding works really good. If I was goona buy one it would be a 2 inch kellyw

maybe this will help...
3/4" or 1" are the best sellers by a wide margin. I use the 3/4" more than any other size.

I bought the 1/2" and 3/4". I never use the 1/2" and wish I had bought the 1".

+1 on the 3/4

It's very simple to layout a 1" diameter and grind it with a 3/4.

A 1" would be handy though for getting perfectly repeatable finger grooves

I just ordered a 2" and a 3" to replace the idlers on my platen so they wont be needed in small wheels.

Thats my take. Josh

I have a 3/4", 1", 1 1/2" & 2" I use them all depending on the radius I'm working on but the 3/4" seems to get the most use.

My vote it for the 3/4" wheel. Early on in my career I purchased 1/2" through 1" wheels, thinking that I needed them. In just a short while I learned that when the 3/4" wheel was on the attachment, I almost never changed it. After a while I gave away all the other small wheels, and for the past 10 years+, the only "small wheels" in my shop are 3/4".

I love the 3/4". It will allow grinding the inner contours of the handle best over all for me. The largest wheel possible for the curve you are doing will make the nicest finish, but the 3/4 will get used the most. I am thinking about getting a 2" contact wheel for the KMG's platen so I can rotate it towards me because of shrouding only on one side unlike the SWA. This should be good for hollow grinding the tang prior to tapering and won't require an extra tool arm or swapping out on the arms I have. But for right now, the only one I have is 3/4" on the SWA.

James

I use a 3/4" and a 2" my next size wheel is a 8" and I rarely find myself needing any thing between 2"and 8". I use the 3/4" the most.

James,

If your going to replace the aluminum wheels on the KMG platen, try replacing the top wheel with 1 1/2" contact wheel, and the bottom with a 3" contact wheel... that will make it almost the same as the platen I designed/use.. The 1 1/2" wheel works great for contours near the front of a knife, and the 3" is perfect for the heel of handles.

James,

If your going to replace the aluminum wheels on the KMG platen, try replacing the top wheel with 1 1/2" contact wheel, and the bottom with a 3" contact wheel... that will make it almost the same as the platen I designed/use.. The 1 1/2" wheel works great for contours near the front of a knife, and the 3" is perfect for the heel of handles.

Thanks, that sort of thing is what I had in mind. Thanks for the tip. This has got me thinking about what I had been using so I will post a tutorial on it in a little while.

James

Back