I Am Getting Better

Robert66

Whether or not this is in the 'custom' category I do not know, all I know is I am improving through this site and 'bigheadedly' proud, I have been showing off my own latest example,
STP LAFFIN. lol, my mates who are not into knife smith work love it

A4uoA03.png

I have just finished this knife which I hope to raffle/auction for my fav charity at our big shoot.
My prob is 'designing' a sheath which is NOT straight, I think I could make it when I get a template though.

Time is running out so any advice would be welcome.

Last 2 years I auctioned country/shooters walking sticks and did
well.

OZYGAL4.png

cIF2YRG.png

pFFyzIO.png

This is my finished Xmas raffle gift to my charity.

Hey VG.
Now I see it in a photo I am wondering if it would look better with the top right hand side angled off so is is more pointed.
Please give your opinion and any tips as soon as you can.

I am a bit nervy of ruining it without a bit of advice.

Thank you.

Last edited:
As far as the sheath goes do a simple fold over and clip the end off so it can be sewn to shape.View attachment 65836

Yes VG, you are right.

The sheath I am hoping to finish this week is not unlike your fine example in build, I will post it, I is made from recycled leather briefcase which I need more practice on..

I rely on your expert comments and photos, thank you.

I paid just over £20 for a NEW 4 mm near square foot of tanned leather and scrapped it doing the stitching holes, my eyes are not what they were.

Ian Atkinson has some good videos on youtube on sheath making. I have used them as a guide for making sheaths.

he sheath I am hoping to finish this week is not unlike your fine example in build, I will post it, I is made from recycled leather briefcase which I need more practice on..

That is just a sample I pulled from the internet Robert. I dont make sheaths ike this for knives with such a pronounced nose on them as it requires the blade to be held unnaturally high in a skinning operation (as in opening up) and takes usefull blade away from other operations. JMHO though from 50+ years of knife use.

I have had a look at the work of Ian Atkinson since your post CB, it is fantastic IMO but I gotta start at the bottom to attain that skill of him and others,

Thank you.

I have had a look at the work of Ian Atkinson since your post CB, it is fantastic IMO but I gotta start at the bottom to attain that skill of him and others,

Thank you.
Honestly what he is doing is not that overly difficult. He is REALLY good at it, but the techniques he shows are very doable. Make sure and watch the hour and a half video and he goes into detail on every step. Once you get the hang of it, every new one gets better. Tools make all of the difference. Just like anything else, just accumulate some leather working tools as you go. Here is my most recent one. It is my 4th sheath.
45282861_10205498804106414_8428114749866115072_n.jpg

Honestly what he is doing is not that overly difficult. He is REALLY good at it, but the techniques he shows are very doable. Make sure and watch the hour and a half video and he goes into detail on every step. Once you get the hang of it, every new one gets better. Tools make all of the difference. Just like anything else, just accumulate some leather working tools as you go. Here is my most recent one. It is my 4th sheath.
View attachment 65853

Show off.lol

That is lovely.

My sheath will be ready for showing tomorrow but it is really awful, I made it too small at the neck and struggled thereafter, I could not stitch it for lack of room, they would have burst, I forced the wrong rivets into iy to salvage it, hence awful.
I am a bit peeved but will get better..

I will make another

I have learned from it though

Hey Robert I am in the same boat as you I keep trying to make a sheath and so far I don't have anything I'm proud of

Hey Robert I am in the same boat as you I keep trying to make a sheath and so far I don't have anything I'm proud of

Hi Justin.

Some of our forum experts had to learn by their mistakes

My workshop is heated so I can carry on through the winter if I want to.

Obtaining knife making bits in the UK is not as easy as the USA.

We have stores but not around here and they are expensive.

Paper is the way to go when learning to make sheaths. Lay out your pattern on paper and cut it out for a dry fit. You will see right away where to make adjustments.

Paper is the way to go when learning to make sheaths. Lay out your pattern on paper and cut it out for a dry fit. You will see right away where to make adjustments.

That's what I do, construction paper. you can add to it with paper and tape, trim it with scissors......or smash it into a ball, slam it in the can, and start over.....no loss of leather involved.:D

or smash it into a ball, slam it in the can, and start over.....no loss of leather involved.:D

Steve, that sounds like first hand knowledge!! Rolling laughter.gifI have been known to have the same results. My neighbor said, I was the only man that could throw a ball peen over a 100'! :oops::mad: That was after I smacked my thumb for about the third time in five minutes!!

Another thing about cardboard, if you get a knife shape you like worked out, you have a sheath design that will work on all of them. Once you get the hang of you can make the sheath as plain or as ornate as you want!!

Chuck Burrows did a 2 DVD set on sheath making and one of the things I gleaned from watching it is, the devil is in the details! Edging the leather is often what makes it look better in the end result!! He had a lot of small tricks that he showed in the DVD's and I realized why I had not been pleased with my results at times.

This is it.

I do not like it one bit but have salvaged it, the knife does not drop out when upside down.
I detest the rivets on this particular one .

It is all good practice.

I have part cut out a new one which I will give more thought to.

waRIzxZ.png

Back