I.C.C.E show in Kansas City

Wow, what a show! I just got home and my head is still spinning from all the talented people I met and their amazing work. Being a newb nobody and getting to shake hands with the likes of Gil Hibben, Jerry Moen, Todd Begg, Jim Crowell, J. Nielson, Steve Culver, Johnny Stout, and on and on, all in one place is unbelievable. Not to mention meeting the real guys behind their Knife Dogs profile, like Ed Caffery, Jason Fry, Bruce Bump, Calvin Robinson, Denis Mura, future master Justin Presson, and on and on. I can't remember everybody's name, overwhelming!

But, there is one very apparent trait that all of these guys at this level have, extremely helpful, encouraging, supportive, etc. I'm amazed at the quality of character that each one seems to have, very impressive. Heck, I showed some of them my friction folder and didn't get one snicker! Now that's some self control. If you get a chance again to go to something like this, GO! I spent about 7 hours in there, felt like 30 minutes. Thanks to all you guys that spent time with me, I'm very inspired.

Wow, what a show! I just got home and my head is still spinning from all the talented people I met and their amazing work. Being a newb nobody and getting to shake hands with the likes of Gil Hibben, Jerry Moen, Todd Begg, Jim Crowell, J. Nielson, Steve Culver, Johnny Stout, and on and on, all in one place is unbelievable. Not to mention meeting the real guys behind their Knife Dogs profile, like Ed Caffery, Jason Fry, Bruce Bump, Calvin Robinson, Denis Mura, future master Justin Presson, and on and on. I can't remember everybody's name, overwhelming!

But, there is one very apparent trait that all of these guys at this level have, extremely helpful, encouraging, supportive, etc. I'm amazed at the quality of character that each one seems to have, very impressive. Heck, I showed some of them my friction folder and didn't get one snicker! Now that's some self control. If you get a chance again to go to something like this, GO! I spent about 7 hours in there, felt like 30 minutes. Thanks to all you guys that spent time with me, I'm very inspired.

It was good to see you again Anthony and your friction folder did turn out VERY well considering it was your second folder.

No problem guys I was happy to do it. I felt obligated since this was in my home town. I was really hard to get good pics in the place. Hopefully all the makers and collectors had a good show. I sure hope they do it again next year.

I was there most all day as well. I'm sorry I missed you Anthony, it would have been a pleasure!
My wife was making fun of how giddy I was. We hadn't made it past the bathrooms to the entry table and I had already seen Tony Bose and Don Hansen! Both of whom I had the chance to speak with later at their tables. I too had the pleasure of finally meeting Calvin Robinson, Ed Caffrey, Karl Anderson, Bruce Bump and many others who have been a lot of help to us here on the forums. The name drops and talent a guy could list just from that room is absolutely incredible.

I had a great time and hope this show is able to continue for a long time to come.
Chris

Dang how did I miss Karl and Dons tables!!! Those were 2 I wanted to meet and see there work.
How was the attendance Saturday and Sunday?

Dang how did I miss Karl and Dons tables!!! Those were 2 I wanted to meet and see there work.
How was the attendance Saturday and Sunday?

They were both on the end of the row along the far west side. Karl had sold out before we got there so I didn't get to see anything he brought. Unsure about the attendance, seemed to be a good flow of traffic though.

Chris

Attendance seemed pretty good to me, from the visitor's side of the table. I'm sure the sellers wouldn't have minded more people, but there were times it was hard to get a look at some of the tables without waiting for people to move on down. I know space is a premium, but they could have made the rows about a foot wider and traffic flow would've been a little better. I know there were a lot of guys like me there, new makers asking questions and just wanting to meet the people they look up to. I did talk to Pop and got some belts, scales, mosaic pins, etc. He was really helpful. Travis Weurtz was there with one of his grinders, it looks even better in person. He is a talker, if you've never met him, but super nice guy. Only thing they could do to make it better, is allow for a whole day on the seminars, let us go to each one instead of choosing one or the other.

There was one sad thing at the show. An empty table with a lonely little card that said "John Doyle". I kind of teared up as I walked by it. :sad:

Only thing they could do to make it better, is allow for a whole day on the seminars, let us go to each one instead of choosing one or the other.

I think that is just how the ABS does it. I know the Heartland Bladesmithing Symposium in Topeka has 2 demos going on at the same time all day long.

Chris

There was one sad thing at the show. An empty table with a lonely little card that said "John Doyle". I kind of teared up as I walked by it. :sad:
I didnt see that. What happened to John? Nothing serious I hope.

I had a great time at the show. I thought attendance was down too but I talked to so many people my voice nearly went out. Really looking forward to next year.

Whaaaaaat?...........They didn't fill my table spot? I cancelled several weeks in advance and I thought there was a waiting list.

I was bummed about not being there and will be there next year. Sounds like some mixed reviews and lots of good suggestions have been made to help it improve for next year. The one good thing that everybody said is that they will be back next year so that says something.

Hey Bruce, no nothing serious......I had a family issue that demanded my time and attention and a hectic summer that hit my time and travel expenses pretty hard. :)

The show was great for a "first time" event, good crowd and some uber talent in the room. there was plenty of really nice knives for sale and everybody, table holders and attendees alike, seemed to be pleased with the show. I am sure there can be some improvements to this or that, but overall I think it was a huge success. I had a blast and can't wait until next years!

Peter

pretty bummed i missed the show. thanks for posting the pics! that Burke bowie was freakin awesome. checked every box for me

I have been going non-stop since the show. Just found this thread and wanted to chime in. I too, had a great time and have already reserved a table for next year. I enjoyed talking with Justin, Anthony and many others from Knife Dogs. Calvin Robinson, Gene Baskett, and Jerry Moen were especially helpful since I was a last minute addition from the waiting list. I can't wait until next year, this is going to become a can't miss show!

Bob

Bob, I was very glad to meet you and see those folders in person. Super nice stuff. I see all the pics from everybody on forums, Instagram, FB, etc. but it's a real eye opener to see them in person. There a few makers that I really wanted to see, but either I didn't recognize them or they were out for lunch or something.

Back