I'd like to see pics of work rest built for the "GIB" Polar bear forge grinder

A.W.Stovall

Or any of the other grinders that accept 1.5" arms, I dont like the one I made I want one that is moveable to different angles and such.
Thanks Anthony

Anthony, the first thing that comes to mind to me is the Mapp Arm. The're a bit expensive, but sem to be awesome work rests in my opinion. Everyone I have spoken to who owns one raves about them.

Yeah I sent him an email waiting for a response I tried to build something similar it just didnt work for me guess I will have to let go of some money, lol
Anthony

Yeah I sent him an email waiting for a response I tried to build something similar it just didnt work for me guess I will have to let go of some money, lol
Anthony

I built my own version of a map arm out of wood and it worked well to model a real one after. I wish that I photographed it before the kids asked if they would have it (my oldest likes to tinker and dismantle things). Luckily, I'm having one laser cut along with my EERF grinder this coming week. I'll post pictures if it works. (BTW, the best part is that my arm will cost 225.00 with all of the materials purchased locally)

I purchased one of the MAPP arms a couple of years ago. To be honest, I'm not very fond of it. Although it can be adjusted to many different positions, the issue I have with it is getting it setup and adjusted....just too darn time consuming for me. I tried for a while to just use it as a flat work rest for profiling, but found the table to be too large, and causes more problems than it solves. Not sure if they are all this way, but my has Acme threads on the "knuckle" adjustments, and they are a royal pain in the butt....every time you try to tighten them to keep things in place, everything shifts.....one of these days when I get some time, I'll likely "re-engineer" it and hopefully correct the issues.

I built a smaller work rest a while back, that consists of a smaller table, which has tilt adjustment...it attached to a 1 1/2" tooling arm via two 3/8" bolts. I'll try to get some pics of it later today or in the morning and post them up for you.

The MAP arm won't work on the GIB. There's a post on one of these forums on that issue. Michael Kantor, who designed and sells the MAP, tried it. But, he said that with some adjustments to the GIB frame it may work. Also, I think on Polar Bear's web site Jamie says the MAP wont work, but the web site does have some pics. of finished GIB's where the tool arm articulates.

There are modification's moving the rest arm reciever over by using spacers, it can be done it's just not buy it and stick it in.

There are a few pictures of one with an adjustable work rest at http://www.polarbearforge.com/completed.htm.

I don't use a workrest for most things, so I haven't made one yet.

I'm told that the MAPP arm doesn't work with the GIB as is by it's creator. A few poeple that have built the GIB that also have the MAP say that it works without modification. I had developed a potential accessory kit to make it compatible and my test subjects reported that it's not necessary.

Jamie

Here are some photos of the arm I designed. I am not a pro, so I just muddled through it. It is very solid. After building the whole thing so bombproof, I felt bad only putting 1 screw to secure the "table", but it does allow me to turn it sideways, as seen in this photo. It is very stable, but I can see how it will be hard to adjust it, and replicate positions after they are altered.
blademaven
blademaven
blademaven
blademaven
This is my noob time posting photos, so I hope I did it right. If you want me to measure the pieces, or help in any other way I would be happy to!

Zack

*EDIT* I don't see the photos coming up here, so try going to my photo bucket site:

http://s1230.photobucket.com/albums.../blademaven/?action=view&current=101_1642.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some photos of the arm I designed. I am not a pro, so I just muddled through it. It is very solid. After building the whole thing so bombproof, I felt bad only putting 1 screw to secure the "table", but it does allow me to turn it sideways, as seen in this photo. It is very stable, but I can see how it will be hard to adjust it, and replicate positions after they are altered

Bravo, that is some very nice work Zack. :35:

Back