I'm not sure if I should be tickled or ticked-off.

busted knuckles

So today while I was browsing Ebay for some Amboyna burl, I saw one of my knives that was recently sold by Arizona custom knives, for sale, for $60 more than the customer bought it for!
Now, I don't mind my knives appreciating like that but if I wanted that knife to sell for $360 I'd have sold it for that.
I don't know if this guy bought my knife with the intention of re-selling it or just didn't like it and wanted to make a profit while getting out from under it.
I guess I just don't like people middle manning like that.
This is my first experience with this, maybe I have the wrong attitude. Maybe I should just take this as a sign that I'm selling my knives too cheap!:biggrin:
Should I contact this guy to find out what the deal is or should I shine it on.

the Setogiwa with a CPM 3-V blade, Amboyna scales and stainless liners.
P6070853.jpgP6070856.jpgP6070858.jpgP6070854.jpgP6070857.jpgP6070861.jpg

I'm trying to get my head around the aftermarket thing too. I understand why you might be a little peeved that someone else is making a profit off your work; but it seems that's just part of the knife world and not really a bad thing.

I think you should be tickled. Look at it this way, your knives are worth more than you thought and people are buying them. Plus, you have someone else doing some advertising for you. That's the sort of thing that helps attract collectors. Make more and bump your prices up just a little.

Once any knife leaves your shop, and you have been paid, it's not your knife anymore. I fretted over stuff like that for years, and finally realized what I just mentioned. The secondary market is very important in the knife world, and if one of your pieces sells for more on the secondary market, that is a VERY good thing. It means that your knives are in demand.

Thanks guys, you're right, this is a business and these things are part of the business. I am glad that someone thinks my work is worth reselling like that. A maker doesn't know how his work will be received until it hits the market. This is an indication that I need to make more of that design. I'm leaning towards tickled.

Thanks guys, you're right, this is a business and these things are part of the business. I am glad that someone thinks my work is worth reselling like that. A maker doesn't know how his work will be received until it hits the market. This is an indication that I need to make more of that design. I'm leaning towards tickled.

This sounds like a good problem to have. Embrace and enjoy!

Some people buy knives as an investment. Someone bought your knife, and regardless of the reason for selling it, was able to make a return+profit on that purchase. Collectors/buyers are not doing it to lose money.

Also, I've noticed, on the forums especially, there are people that buy knives because they have to have them. Maybe it's the latest greatest design, or the new hot maker, or whatever. Eventually--sometimes months, sometimes weeks, and even sometimes days later--they move on the next hot knife/maker. A lot of them don't have the funds for those kinds of purchases, so the knives in their ownership come and go on a regular basis.

Be tickled, and hope it's a trend.

Very nice knife, BTW!

Tickled (was gonna say pink but don't want to offend the BIG lunchbox dude)

Nice work, continued Success. Dozier

Nothing for you to worry about, like the others have told you, once you have been paid your price it's outta your hands.

A $60 means your price is pretty much right on to me.

People by knives, and the sell knives.... If you make more than one knife, this will happen sometimes.

If people know they can make a little money on your knife when they buy it, it's one more reason for them to buy your knife instead of the "other knife they like" what is not a known money maker.

I guess, YMMV....

I had one of my knives appreciate $1000 in several aftermarket trades.....That made me very proud.

George

Last edited by a moderator:
Let us know if you notice an increase in orders, after that resale. That's what will show you if it really helped you... and I suspect it will. I don't see it hurting you any.

It's wonderful to make stuff you like just because... but it sure doesn't hurt any to earn an honest dollar from your efforts.

Hi Calvin,

Excellent advise!

Fortunately for most custom knife makers...most custom knife collectors buy what they like. It gets tougher when the collectors start to expect the knife to hold it's value!

I dont know about knife makeing but I have a simple process I use in every part of my business life including my labor. I do the job for what I can do it for and make a profit I see as reasonable and acceptable. By this i mean that when I contract to do a job, be it for an employer or myself I have set a value on the time it takes me to do that task, if it requires a good amount of skill then the value of my time is greater, if its digging a hole well the value of my time is less. In any case I agree to a value of my time that I can do the job for, if the person contracting me is able to make a profit while giving me my agreed on pay, then so be it. That's the market today, look at home builders, very few actually swing a hammer. The company I work for charges 75 dollars per hour for my labor, I make nowhere near that, but I agreed to do the job for my price and not his.

If anything I think this would encourage people to buy directly from you, getting a better deal them self.

Don't know if that has any bearing on your all business, but it seems fair to me.

Ticked, you're kidding right? You make a knife, sell it and it appreciates in value. That is what everyone strives for. Your knife is now a Blue Chip Investment. Wall Street could be so lucky.

Back