Inexpensive 1750 RPM buffer?

P J 234

I've done without a buffer until now as I'm limited on space, funds, and experience, but recently I'm starting to think about adding one if I can find a decent one that's not too expensive.

From some reading I've done, it seems I want something slower, maybe in the 1750 RPM range or so. I've checked Sears, Grizzly and Harbor Freight, and they seem to only have 3450 RPM buffers. Can someone point me towards something that's slower than these but is not a $400 Baldor?

Thanks!

While I have not made one myself, I know of 2 makers that have used a set speed motor (1750 rpm) then added a spindle or threaded collar. Neither I have seen have the buffing wheel more than an inch away from the face of the motor. Dont remember what Wayne Goddard used in $50 Knife shop, but I think it was a washing machine motor.

God Bless
Mike

Thanks guys! I'll keep poking around and see what I can come up with. I'm not big on kludging things together, I just usually end up frustrated and with something that doesn't work right. I'd prefer to buy something I can un-box and plug in if possible.

I appreciate the suggestions.

Paul,

1/4 horse Baldor is $199. Never used one but I'm thinking that 1/4 would be ok for buffing. Also consider this
http://www.usaknifemaker.com/store/bench-mandrel-ball-bearing-p-1344.html

Mated to any motor you want. Adjust the pulley size to get the speed you desire.

-Josh

Oh snap, why didn't I see that? I've been shopping around locally for parts, and my buddy Tracy has the whole setup in one place! Guess I know what's coming my next order. Have a 2/3 HP two speed motor just waiting to become a buffer and a disk with Tracy's setup.

Thanks guys! I plan to use it at this point for buffing handles, bolsters, and anything else knife making related. I don't foresee myself buffing many (if any) blades at this point. I did have the impression that longer shafts were needed so I wasn't looking at bench grinders much for that reason. How important are the longer shafts in actual use?

While I have not made one myself, I know of 2 makers that have used a set speed motor (1750 rpm) then added a spindle or threaded collar. Neither I have seen have the buffing wheel more than an inch away from the face of the motor. Dont remember what Wayne Goddard used in $50 Knife shop, but I think it was a washing machine motor.

God Bless
Mike

These work fine for buffing. I use yard sale aquired motors, usually half horse. You can buy them for a buck or two, usually.

Thanks guys! I plan to use it at this point for buffing handles, bolsters, and anything else knife making related. I don't foresee myself buffing many (if any) blades at this point. I did have the impression that longer shafts were needed so I wasn't looking at bench grinders much for that reason. How important are the longer shafts in actual use?

Basicly what I use my buffer for.Handles,guards,and bolsters.Have never used a real buffer so don't know how much better the long shafts would be,but mine does fine for what Ido with it.Oh and I got mine from woodcrafters when they were 69 bucks a couple of years ago.

Stan

How important is the slower speed (1750 vs. 3600 RPM) for knife work? I've seem a couple of decent deals locally on Craigslist, but of course they are of the 3600 RPM variety. If the choice was between something like the slower WoodCraft grinder with short shafts vs. a faster machine with nice long shafts, which would be the better choice of the two?

That's a good question. Faster is much more dangerous. Mine scares the begeezus outta me. But I like the long shafts. You could get some room with large wheels if you had short shafts.

I been using 6'' grinder from HF $39.00. I removed the guards off one side and put on a buffing wheel. Left one grinding wheel for sharpen drill bits. The Buffer is the most dangerous tool in your shop. So less HP is better I think mine is 1/2 horse plenty for buffing.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that short shafts and large diameter wheels INCREASE the surface speed of the wheel. Do the math and you'll see what I mean.

-Josh

Pj, I have a home depot ryobi drill press and and just got a buffing wheel somewhere with an attachment. So I buff with my drill press on low speed.

Thanks for all the input, guys. I've lived this long without one so I guess I will just keep my eye out for the right machine at the right price. I do think slower is pretty important...my Craftsman 2x42 belt scares me with it's speed, so I can only imagine how frightening a fast buffer might be!

I went to Harbor Freight and bought a couple small buffing wheels with 1/4" shanks. They're about 4-5" diameter.

I chuck them into my drill press, set the speed to about medium, and buff on the horizontal plane. Seems to work fine for me as long as I remember to never hold the workpiece where an edge could catch on the buffing wheel. Like everyone else here, the thought of a 3600 RPM 1 HP buffer catching a blade and flinging it around scares the crap out of me.

I have a threaded extension with an 8" buffing wheel mounted to the back side of the head-stock on my Grizzly wood lathe. Instant variable speed buffer.

Erin

g1495.jpg

Back