Input on my WIP

Very Nice. Just read the full thread for the first time. Nicely done, good input from some real good knifemakers too.
JAG, are you one of those irritating people that are good at everything they do?
Dozier

Hey Dogs! Thanks for the comments. I had a virus on my computer and had to wipe it out in order to get it to work again,..bummer. Anyway, I won't be posting any pictures of my #2 knife because I destroyed it!! I overground it after heat treat and could not get it even and so I overground it some more!! LOL, oh well, I'm learning! So I come back here to see pictures of my first knife because it looks way better than my 2nd! Thanks for the comments!
See Dozier, not good at everything! It's kind of amusing to me that my 1st knife would be better than my 2nd!

Last edited:
Jerry, I'm sorry that happened to you. Trust me, I know the frustration!:mad::mad:

I am happy that I'm not the only one with a knife shaped paper weight!:D:D:D I'm sure I'll have a bigger pile when it's all said and done!

Jeff

Yeah Don't feel bad. I have a Drop point that I tried to swage, then tried to turn into a dagger, rust collecting paperweight!!:eek: I think I may just heat treat it and turn it into a primitive spear!! Yeah........ yeah, that's what I'll do....:rolleyes: Yeah that's what I meant to do all along!! I didn't know I was trying to force a spear into being a knife......:rolleyes:

A spear? Hmmmm, I never thought of that!! I might still have enough steel to make that work!cool 1
I just got some more steel and have a new design I hope to work on this weekend. I think I have learned a lot from my 2nd knife and how not to destroy the next one. One thing is because I spent the previous weekend working on the handle it had been 2 weeks since I last tried to grind. I read somewhere that it is a good idea to try and work in batches, I think I may try that. maybe cut out 4-5 blades and then profile all of them and then try to grind them one after the other. Maybe that will help?

Last edited:
OK Dogs, got my stencil and etched my blade today 2thumbs! Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• IMG00602-20100510-1941.jpg
    IMG00602-20100510-1941.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG00593-20100510-1907.jpg
    IMG00593-20100510-1907.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG00619-20100510-2026.jpg
    IMG00619-20100510-2026.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Very nice finish, and the stencil is great. I'm all for neat, clean lines!

You've done well and I'm sure the future is bright for one with your talent.

Back