Input on my WIP

Great start there Jerry, like the style of the blade. Looking forward to the finished product.

Jerry, I think things are looking much better. You have done an excellent job grinding that down so far, especially for a first knife! Clean lines, and great plunge. With the holes at the front of the handle, you'll have to think about handle scale location so that they are not exposed. Make sure you mock up the handle and pay attention to that when you are shaping the front.

What type of handle material are you going to use?

--nathan

Thanks Bruce and Nathan! I got my knife heat treated today!! Now I can move on to finishing up the blade and then on to the handle! Nathan, I will probably be using some Butterscotch Micarta. I will post pics as I get going on it!!
Thanks again guys! I appreciate the input!

Attachments

• IMG00276-20100410-1511.jpg
    IMG00276-20100410-1511.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 89
Here are a few new pics, let me know what you think!

Attachments

• IMG00285-20100411-1430.jpg
    IMG00285-20100411-1430.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG00287-20100411-1431.jpg
    IMG00287-20100411-1431.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG00297-20100411-1458.jpg
    IMG00297-20100411-1458.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Knife06.jpg
    Knife06.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Jerry looks like a great finish. I am on my phone and it isn't the best pic. you said you were going to us butterscotch micarta? Are you going to use pins or bolts? After that are you going to use leather or kydex for a sheath? Thanks for sharing this with us and for taking use on the ride.

James

Hi James,
I will be pinning the handle, not sure on the sheath yet. I will put up some more pics when I get to the handle.
Jerry

Wow, that's one heck of a first knife! I'm guessing you've had a good deal of experience working with your hands/tools before, and have done your homework. Or else you're just a genius, in which case, I hate you!! :D

Side-note: your pics showing the reflections on the blade are a great way to check for evenness and just plain look cool. Any flaw in the surface will show up as a distortion in the reflection. When you can see the points on the stars like in your pic, or read a newspaper in the shine, that's a good sign. 2thumbs

Last edited:
Thanks guys!
James, I have been dreaming about making knives for 20 +years, it is really cool to see this knife come along the way it has. It is not perfect but I am pretty pleased! I appreciate the comment!

Jerry,

You did an awesome job. I'm glad to see a new guy's WIP turn out so well!!! Time for another one. Keepem' rolling out while your in this groove!!!

Congrat's

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! I have been working on a second blade but want to get this handle going, hopefully this weekend.

Thanks CarpScot! I am chompin at the bit to get back out in the shop but haven't had time yet this week. Maybe this weekend!

Very nice work. What kind of tools are you working with? All of the lines are spectacularly accomplished, and I'm impressed.

I'm sooooo not posting pictures of my knives!!! :eek:

Well dogs, today was just not my day!! I wasn't happy with this grind near the tip on one side and decided to take it back down and fix it. I started back at 120 and brought it back to 16X. That part went semi-ok! Then once I was done I started working on my handle. I traced, sawed, and then rounded the front ends and angled them up from the blade side. DUH!!! I went to drill them and couldn't clamp it properly, I got one hole drilled and then could not get the other hole drilled with it clamped to the blade, so I marked it and did it manually. Of course it did not line up!! What a frustrating day in the shop!! Oh well,..live and learn! Back at it tomorrow!!

Back