Input on my WIP

Minor set back. We all have had them. Don't let it worry you. You learned something that didn't work. Really anytime you learn something it is a good day.

Thanks guys, I hope to give it another try today if I have time. I do have a question. I took the blade down to 16X and then tried to polish it with a cork belt and some Green Chrome, it worked OK but no matter how many times I tried to polish it I still end up with some distortions in the finish. Should I just put a satin finish on it? 600 or 800 grit? Any insight into how you finish your blades would be appreciated.
Thanks, Jerry

OK Dogs, I decided to go with the blade as is. I wanted this knife to be as perfect as possible but I came to the realization (with the help of my girlfriend!) That this knife doesn't need to be perfect! It just needs to get finished so I can learn the process.
I glued the handle on tonight. It is Butterscotch Micarta with Black liners and mosaic pins. Let me know what you think.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG00320-20100418-1718.jpg
    IMG00320-20100418-1718.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG00323-20100418-1726.jpg
    IMG00323-20100418-1726.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG00326-20100418-1750.jpg
    IMG00326-20100418-1750.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG00327-20100418-1757.jpg
    IMG00327-20100418-1757.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG00328-20100418-1758.jpg
    IMG00328-20100418-1758.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
It's definitely worth finishing. You'll learn a few little things but you clearly have the basics under control. Looking forward to seeing it completed; remember, the closer you get to being done, the slower you should go! It's no fun to get excited and forget something or blast a big scratch down the blade. Don't ask me how I know this :eek:

Thanks James! I wont even ask! I do understand what you mean, this is not even near the knife it started out to be. I read somewhere on Knifedogs that there are no mistakes or errors, only design changes!

JAG it is coming right along. James is right, take time to finish. I anve done the big scratch or set a rivet wrong in a shealth and scratched the blade or hand and had to start over. Like the blade shape alot.

OK Dogs, I had some time tonight and was able to work on my handle. It was pretty cool to see and feel it take shape!! It still has some work that needs to be done but I'm happy with what I was able to get accomplished tonight. How should I finish it? What grit do you take it to? Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• handleend.jpg
    handleend.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 62
  • handlepin.jpg
    handlepin.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 57
  • handletable7.jpg
    handletable7.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 65
  • handle7.jpg
    handle7.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 56
  • handle4.jpg
    handle4.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 57
GREAT looking knife ...and that´s your first knife 2thumbs

Last edited by a moderator:
Lookin GOOD. Finish on that micarta is entirely up to you. Sand it finer till it feels right to you. You can always scuff it back up if you want.

Jerry, come clean!! You were a craftsman of some sort already, weren't you? :)

Looks good! Though I know some don't like it, handle shaping is one of my favorite parts of building a full tang knife.

--nathan

Nathan, I'm with you. I spend just as much thought and time on handles as I do on blades. If the handle isn't comfy and secure, who's going to want to use the knife?!?

Thanks guys! I appreciate the comments! I have to agree on the handle part Nathan. I wasn't sure that this part would be all that great but seeing and feeling the handle take shape is pretty cool. I am overall pretty pleased with this knife. It is not "perfect" but it has been a lot of fun from drawing it out in the beginning to working on the handle last night. I will try to finish it up and then on to #2!!
Jerry

OK Dogs, some final pictures. First I want to thank everyone who commented over the course of this thread. James, Nathan, Chris, Al, John, Jeff, etc. I really appreciate the input on this journey.
My girlfriend sent me the picture of the knife on her purse. I think she is trying to say it matches?
I just received my stencil from Ernie. I will post one more pic when I etch the blade.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Knife02chair.jpg
    Knife02chair.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 52
  • KnifeQuarter.jpg
    KnifeQuarter.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Knife01chair.jpg
    Knife01chair.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 54
  • KnifePurse.jpg
    KnifePurse.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
OK Dogs, some final pictures. My girlfriend sent me the picture of the knife on her purse. I think she is trying to say it matches?
I just received my stencil from Ernie. I will post one more pic when I etch the blade.
Thanks!

Jerry,

Ernie showed how secure in his manhood he was by showing us his pink lunchbox. You need to just come clean and admit that it's your purse that matches that well done knife!!! Excellent job!!! Have you done this type of thing before, because you are either a natural or I suck at this point.:confused:

:D:D:DJeff:D:D:D

JAG that is one great looking knife. It looks good with your................man bag. Thats it a man bag. Really a great looking knife.

It's not a "man bag", it's a "European Carry all"!! Not that there's anything wrong with that!! LOL, Thanks guy's!

Last edited:
Very well-done, hoss. Very fluid in design and execution. The handles and liners look good together.

What kind of work do you do that you exhibit this kind of talent in making your first knife?

Back