Interframe inlays

Meno

I am after some ideas on how to cut out the inlays for a interframe folder? They need to be a perfect fit to look any good.

Thanks
Meno Australia

Thanks for your reply frank, but a pantogragh is a little out of reach for me.I am using car bog (fiber glass) to cast the inlays as a pattern. I have just ordered some carbide burrs to cut the inlay material (Bone, antler ,pearl, wood etc) so will see how that works.
thanks again
meno Australia

Ron Lake does a good job of describing how to do it the way you are talking about in the book How To Build Folding knives.

Thanks very much for your replies everyone.I knew Neil charity from the Guild shows here in Australia and have a copy of his tutoial, he was a great maker, he passed away a few years ago.I also have a copy of Ron Lakes book, but had not looked at it for quite a while. So I will work something out from their methords.When I can work how to post photos I will send some of my progress.
I am a voting member of the Australian Knife Makers Guild and attended their show a couple of weeks ago.
Thanks once again for your help
Meno Australia

Myron Husiak was the bloke who showed Neil chatiy how to do it, so give him a call and get it from the horses mouth so to speak,. I have done inlays both like Ron Lake and Myron's way and the way Myron and Neil do it is by far the best way. It's the most accurate and you don't haveto run your cutters up against a hardened template and you can change the size of the inlays quite easily.

Would you mind showing Myrons method how this is done or post a link to the process? I'm always open to education. Thanks much in advance.
Myron Husiak was the bloke who showed Neil chatiy how to do it, so give him a call and get it from the horses mouth so to speak,. I have done inlays both like Ron Lake and Myron's way and the way Myron and Neil do it is by far the best way. It's the most accurate and you don't haveto run your cutters up against a hardened template and you can change the size of the inlays quite easily.

Hi Bruce, Cubane posted a link to Neil Charity's WIP tutorial on Myrons way of doing inlays. It is quite simple to understand but ingenious in it's concept. Myron and Niel's ways of doing it are the same but I want to give Myron the credit of working it out because a lot of people are under the misconception that Neil developed it, probably because it was Neil that posted the tutorial on it all those years ago and not Myron. Another advantage of this system is you don't need to make your female template out of hardened steel, any firm material will do eg. aluminium or partical board. and you can scale up or down by changing the diameter of the stylis underneath. You will see what I mean when you check out the tutorial.

http://www.knifenetwork.com/workshop/tut_interframe_charity.shtml

I don't know how many people around the world have used this idear but in my twenty years as a knifemaker I havn't seen a better way to do inlays and this system should be used by everyone who makes knives. It takes a bit of effort to make all the tooling, but once you have that done it is so easy to change your inlay patterns you wouldn't believe it,.
Cheers from Australia,, Adam.

Last edited:
Hey Frank,

I think the link is busted. Just go to The Knife Network and look in the column at the left. There is a "workshop" link. Click on that and scroll down to the folding knives section. The interframe tutorial is one of maybe three on folders. If I were not posting from my phone I'd put the correct link here.

Editted to add the link. Try this one and let me know if it doesn't work.

Josh

Last edited:
It is old but the link worked for me don't know why it hasn't worked for you guys. It is well worth chasing it up if you can.

Adam,
Thanks for taking the time to track down and post that link. I'll go check it out. It just may be exactly what I need to learn.

I'm back, that link didnt work for me either. Anybody have any ideas?

Last edited:
Back