Kentucky Knifemakers

Mike Carter

We have several knifemakers from Kentucky here. I personally know of at least 25 in Kentucky.

I have been trying for some time to figure a way to promote Kentucky knifemakers and maybe even form a Kentucky Guild and/or have an annual gathering and maybe a show.

If you are a Kentucky knifemaker tell us who you are and where you are located.

What do you think about getting together? Any ideas for a place and/or date for a gathering?

Mike,
I love the idea! I am planning to have a hammer in next year in Pikeville (eastern Ky, near Va and WVa border).
As for a Ky guild, did you just volunteer to get things going?:) Seriously, I would like to do something like that, if you need any help please let me know.
Just in my area I can think of several makers.

BTW just in case you didnt know
Sean Cochran
Pikeville, Ky

Last edited:
Mike and I have talked about this for a while and I will help whatever I can. Anyone interested pass the word and we'll see where it goes.

I run into guys at the local shows all the time so I'll start asking about their interest. Most of these are just hobby knife makers but they still may be interested.

Mike
I have wish for something like what your talking about. I'm in Eastern, Ky, but not as far as Sean. I would help in anyway I can.

Last edited:
Mike:
My name is Ron Flaherty. I live in Louisville. I make mostly folders. I would be interested in some kind of get together.

Thanks Ron

Anyone interested contact Mike with your contact info so we can compile a list of those interested and get everyone's thoughts if things start to happen. If you can't get in touch with Mike you can contact me as we live close and talk often.
You can reach us through our websites. We'll pass the word for a while and see what happens.

I can update my list from this thread but anyone is welcome to discuss ideas here or privately. My direct email is mike@cartercrafts.com

I am definitely seeing more interest now than the last couple of times I ran this up the flagpole. That's encouraging!

Thanks Ron, Ricky and Sean. I know another knifemaker in western KY who is very anxious to see something come together. I know a couple of others that I have spoken to are interested.

Mike

Mike, sounds great, Pikeville to Paducah:). After the holiday I ll get in touch with you. Maybe we could get together in early spring somewhere central, maybe Lexington to get organized. Maybe for the hammer in/knife in (Im a stock maker too) we could have the first annual Ky Knife makers guild get together?

Ricky
My grandmother was born on Coffee creek. Ive got some Morgan Co. in me.:) Im related to the Hamilton and Coffee families.

Sean

Edit: Ricky I just looked at your page, good looking knives. I really like the liner lock, Im a leftie too.

Last edited:
Yes, once we see who all is interested we can see where the majority of them are or what would be most central for everybody. I'm sure no time and place will work for everybody with travel, vacations, knife shows, etc so we would just have give it our best shot.

Let's keep talking to other KY knifemakers over the next month or so and maybe we can see if something works for spring. Once I get an idea of how many might come I can start looking for a place.

My original idea from a couple of years ago was to hold an annual meeting/show at state resort parks and choose a different one around the state each year. Many have meeting rooms that could handle a small show and it might get the state tourism board to help us promote it. BUT, most of them are pretty far off the beaten path and while we might have a good time getting together and talking shop I don't know if we could get buyers to come if we had a show.

If it's just a get-together to share ideas and talk shop it could be almost anywhere that can handle a small group. But if we are all there together it also makes sense to me to consider a Kentucky Knifemakers show and that's a different ballgame. If it is a show, a city location makes more sense.

If we do get enough interested in getting together this first time then we can discuss what we want to do in the future, form a guild, just have an annual meeting, have a show, or whatever.

At the very least I think we should have a central online website/directory for Kentucky knifemakers. I just happen to have the domain name "kentuckyknifemakers.com" but it is just parked at this point.

Mike

The only problem I have is weekends. I work 1st shift and have to work ever other weekend, getting off on is a problem. I will send you my email to keep me updated.

Rick

Hey Mike,

We've talked about this and you know I'm all in. I'd love to found a Kentucky Guild. And having a web site as a central clearing house for Kentucky makers is a great idea too. Many benefits to be had from both of those things by all of us. Whether we maintain a personal web presence or not.

We absolutely need to work out a meet and greet and maybe see if we can get something tangible started for the future of our craft in Kentucky. There are a couple of good examples we can use as guides that should make it go smoother.

There is a long and respected heritage of frontier artisans in our state. I'd love to be a part of founding something that would preserve and advance that for future generations of knife makers.

I mean heck, how many other states had a rifle named after um in the 1800's. Maybe 2...3? ;~)

Oh, and I live about 5 minutes from the southern end of Lake Barkley.

True JD. With Kentuckians like Daniel Boone, Davey Crockett and Col James Bowie we are practially obligated to keep that pioneering spirit alive and keep up the long hertitage of Kentucky craftsmanship.

This thing is sounding good. I am already looking at some places that might be a good place to meet.

One place that I want to take a closer look at is General Butler State Park. It's in north central KY so it's not right in anybodys back yard but it is a nice facilty 2 miles off of I-71. It has a nice lodge with 7500 square feet of meeting space, cabins and camping.

Merry Christmas Mike and all you other Kentuckians. I would be very interested in getting involved to the best of my ability. I live in Somerset, which is on Lake Cumberland in south central KY. The only other maker I know of in town is Willie Rigney and he has retired from knife making.

Geographic center of Kentucky is 3 miles northwest of Lebanon KY. I would suggest a meet and greet in different parts of the state and rotate the locations. Once a year have hammer in.

Question for everybody: For an annual meeting of Kentucky Knifemakers, would you prefer:

a meet & greet hammer-in type of gathering with the focus on knifemaking

or

a public show with the focus on selling knives?

Mike, I think a meet and greet sort of format would be good to get started if we do it early enough in the year. We could share info about upcoming shows we are familiar with in our own areas and maybe even put together a Kentucky contingent for Blade 2010. I have not been before but I sure hope to go this coming year. Denny

Back