KMG clone WIP

Sean Cochran

Ok guys Im going to try to do a WIP on my grinder build. I didnt get alot of pics and they are not great but I think you will get the idea.
All I have left is to mount it to my bench.cool 1 Im calling this the Kentucky Mule, It may not be pretty but it will work.:)
I used these plans

I got my steel from a local fab shop. $25.00 for some drops. I highly reccomend spending the extra to have your steel cut to size. I have alot, and I mean alot of time in cutting and machining all the parts. (Im not a machinist, but I play one on TV;))
DSC00107.jpg

Cutting all the parts. This was a PITA. Again there are some places where you can get parts to size.
DSC00108.jpg

DSC00110-1.jpg

Machined all the parts to the exact size. I was lucky to have a buddy who has a machine shop and was willing to provide some instruction.
DSC00113.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my fisrt dry fit. Everything fits and is square!:D
DSC00114.jpg

I decided to weld everything. There would have been alot of holes to tap. Plus I was afraid of getting the holes off, and not have them line up. I used 3\8" plate for the base.
DSC00124.jpg

The chassis welded up. I did a couple of things different from the plans, one I welded, and I also used press fit bearings. I bored a hole in the bearing plates and pressed bearings in. I dont know how well this will work. If the bearings wear out Im going to put four bolt flange bearings on it.
DSC00125.jpg

Let me know what you think.

You wouldnt believe how heavy.:(
But it should be nice and smooth.
Ive got a 3HP baldor that I plan on useing in the near future, just have to save up a little for the VFD.

Sean

starting to look like a belt grinder. With that weight it should be pretty much vibration free. Looks good

Larry

Dont have a pic to post, but last night I got the dirve wheel installed and plugged in the motor just to see how the bearings were. I couldnt even hear it running. It was very smooth and vibration free. Ive also got it all painted now. Ill try to get some more pics up soon.

I am also making a grinder from the same plans. I am a machinist and still have a lot of time in the cutting. I hope to finish it soon.

Back