Knife sharpening - How much is right?

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
This came up recently and I thought I would open it for discussion....

How much do people charge to sharpen knives?
Are some knives more than others?
Do you not sharpen some types?

How do you run a sharpening business?

I recently got a request to provide sharpening for an amateur home chef after sharpening a chef's knife for the folks who recently moved in next door.

I've heard rumor that a "going rate" among other makers is $1 per inch of blade length for sharpening so thats what I told the fella inquiring.

He didn't balk at that price and has been having his knives sharpened at our local Ace Hardware store in the past at 2$ per knife reguardless of blade length. This particular fella wasn't necessarily a price shopper as his main complaint with the hardware store was that they did a "sucky" job of sharpening his knives.

I told him my price would be significantly more but I would guarantee he'd be absoulutely satified with the results.

I've never previously been paid to sharpen, although I've sure sharpened alot of knives, but this fellas request does have me thinking... $$$ for sharpening is easy money IMHO and at 1$ per inch it could add up to a tidy sum of supplimental income pretty quickly.

Cool idea for a thread ! Will be watching others response with interest

-Josh

My customers meaning the ones that have bought knives from me, I will sharpen their knives for free and that means any of their knives not just the ones bought from me. I ask them to not bring their friends knives but only their own, has not been a problem that I know of. Anyone else that brings knives to be sharpened I charge 1.00 per blade inch which I have heard was pretty standard. I had for awhile been sharpening knives for the chefs on some ships that docked in Houston Tx when I lived there. they would bring me a box full and pick them up the next day. Sometimes they even paid me to deliver them to the dock because they could not get away, whick was ok with me. It brought in some pretty good money about 5 times a year.
I met a man once that had a truck and went to hospitals and hair dressers and sharpened their items, but with todays disposable blades I think that is something he no longer does. Anyway I think the 1.00 per blade inch is a good price for both parties if the job is done right.

Last edited:
-Those who purchase a custom knife from me, get lifetime "cleaning" and sharpening for free. If it's local, they just bring me the knife, and I do the rest. If the knife must be mailed to me, I charge shipping both ways.

-For those who bring a knife that is NOT one of mine, the charge is $4 per blade, for straight edged blades up to 10" long.

-Blades over 10" are $5 per blade.

-Serrated blades are on a case by case basis, but normally run $8-$10 per serrated blade (these are all done by hand with tapered diamond rods)

I also sharpen just about anything with an edge on it, from garden hoes, to scissors......prices on items other than knives are subject to me reviewing the item(s), and determining the amount of work involved to accomplish the sharpening. (some thing such as shrub trimmers/shears require that things be disassembled/re-assembled) which figures into the cost.

Good information so far....

Keep it coming.

I don't get out to many gun shows like I used to.
How much are fun show sharpeners charging?
What are they using for equipment?
What grit do they go to?

I charge $5 for straight blades up to 6" and $1 and inch after that. If they bring me a set of kitchen knives, it's $4 a blade no matter the size.

Back