Learned Something About Surface Grinding Today

Randy Lucius

Bought a surface grinder awhile back and have been kinda frustrated with it. Was getting ridges in my material.
6F912697-6755-4120-BB84-AD182B95880D.jpeg
7E604F42-560C-43A2-828E-9F934056DEB1.jpeg
Thought the wheel might need dressing. Bought a diamond dresser and after dressing it, same thing ridges. Out in the shop tonight started trying to solve my problem again. Decided to decrease the amount I turned the wheel in the X axis. Sho nuff that did the trick. Seems I wasn’t staying in the “sweet spot” on the wheel. Now I have a really nice finish on my steel. Thought this might help someone new to surface grinding like me.
8B7CF425-BA67-48CB-B253-6E77280942D9.jpeg

I spent some time on one when I visited a friend in WA. Was it .002-.003 at a time...something like that? It was almost 3 years ago and never been on one since.

Last edited:
I hated my surface grinder......until I changed it over to use 2 x 72" belts. Having to have many different grit wheels on hand, changing them out all the time, dressing them, keeping them clean/uncontaminated, storing them, as well as the things you mentioned......... just a pain in the backside.

The biggest issue when changing it to belts..... was finding a contact wheel with enough hardness to prevent "cupping" or convexing the surface being worked. I finally found a 100 durometer urethane wheel and have never looked back. It's also nice to not have to purchase different abrasives.... just use the same ones as the other grinders in the shop. ;) Now, I can get the same level of finish as I can with any of my 2 x 72 grinders..... and can hold within about a 1/2 thousandth.

Last edited:
Ed, if your removing thickness with your surface grinder, how many thousandths can you take each pass with the belt? Do you remember how many thousandths when you had a hard wheel?

Almost 50 yrs ago I used a surface grinder in a tool 'n die shop and it seems like only 3 or 4 thou could be taken each cut. For accuracy a 1/10 of a thou could be removed. Wheels had to be dressed properly and well balanced for that 1/10 work. Been too long ago for good memory of details.

I hated my surface grinder......until I changed it over to use 2 x 72" belts. Having to have many different grit wheels on hand, changing them out all the time, dressing them, keeping them clean/uncontaminated, storing them, as well as the things you mentioned......... just a pain in the backside.

The biggest issue when changing it to belts..... was finding a contact wheel with enough hardness to prevent "cupping" or convexing the surface being worked. I finally found a 100 durometer urethane wheel and have never looked back. It's also nice to not have to purchase different abrasives.... just use the same ones as the other grinders in the shop. ;) Now, I can get the same level of finish as I can with any of my 2 x 72 grinders..... and can hold within about a 1/2 thousandth.
Hi Ed! Thanks for responding. I've been thinking about converting over to belts. Do you remember where you got the 100 duro wheel? I looked at Sunray. They have some 95A duro wheels. What diameter did you use?

how many thousandths can you take each pass with
he belt?

With a brand new 50 grit, and VERY slow travel I can take .010-.015".... but its not something I think SHOULD be done..... its really hard on the wheel and machine. Honestly, unless I'm looking for a specific thickness on a folder part/blade, I pay more attention to the sound/feel of the machine, then the dials.

Do you remember where you got the 100 duro wheel? I looked at Sunray. They have some 95A duro wheels. What diameter did you use?
I got my wheel from Bertie Rietveld, but don't think he offers them any longer. I'd go with SunRay, and talk with them about the hardest wheel they can offer.....they are really nice, helpful folks.

It's hard to stress enough to dress the stone every single time you use a surface grinder.
A dressed stone is like a new belt vs. an old worn out one.

100% agree! And that was another reason/hassle that drove me to the belt conversion.

Sorry I didn't answer that part about wheel size! But you found it!! Everything else is listed in the thread you linked to.

I think it's also worth mentioning that it's VERY important, that if you don't already have a "fine" pole, or what some are calling a "dense pole" chuck.....GET ONE! Early on, I had a standard pole chuck, and it cost me a new shop door. I was grinding a billet of damascus, it let go, and not only tore off the "catch plate" on the surface grinder, but went through the shop door glass/window, and out into the yard. After that I found/purchased at "fine pole" chuck off ebay....but recently found this at grizzly: https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-6-x-12-Dense-Magnetic-Chuck/T1229 The description says "holding power: max 140 lb./sq. in." That's DOUBLE the holding power of my "fine pole" chuck! Which is an urgent need when trying to hold folder parts down for surface grinding, without launching them! Seriously considering purchasing it with the next knife sale. :)

Sorry I didn't answer that part about wheel size! But you found it!! Everything else is listed in the thread you linked to.

I think it's also worth mentioning that it's VERY important, that if you don't already have a "fine" pole, or what some are calling a "dense pole" chuck.....GET ONE! Early on, I had a standard pole chuck, and it cost me a new shop door. I was grinding a billet of damascus, it let go, and not only tore off the "catch plate" on the surface grinder, but went through the shop door glass/window, and out into the yard. After that I found/purchased at "fine pole" chuck off ebay....but recently found this at grizzly: https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-6-x-12-Dense-Magnetic-Chuck/T1229 The description says "holding power: max 140 lb./sq. in." That's DOUBLE the holding power of my "fine pole" chuck! Which is an urgent need when trying to hold folder parts down for surface grinding, without launching them! Seriously considering purchasing it with the next knife sale. :)
Thanks for the advice on the chuck. I've got it bookmarked because I defiantly want to make some folders. Made one very basic folder and enjoyed it but I need a mill to get serious with it. More equipment, more money. Does it ever end? :)

Back