Lets talk ladder pattern

Rex, my head just swelled by 3 sizes. Thank You
Bruce

I so DON'T believe that, for your work to command the prices that they do is a testament to not only the quality of your work, but to the quality of the person you are, yeah, I've heard the stories of that Cali. Bowie maker that I can't remember his name, the guy that a lot of people want inducted to the ABS Hall of Fame, it'll come to me later. In this day and time, that type of behavior would not be tolerated, not only from his customers but from other Makers as well. Heck Bruce if you get anymore grounded I'm going to plant some Tomatoe seeds in your pockets!

It is guys like you, Janik, Ed Caffrey, Frank Niro..., ya know if I sat here and kept thinking of all the names of those that give and give and give, I'd be here naming a list a mile long! Those that have made this craft a possibilty for regular people to compently make a knife, for whatever reason they have/want to dive into a never ending obsession. And then to have those mentioned (and so many others) to come back and compliment our work the way y'all do, feeds that fire burning in the guts of us "want to be" knifemakers, ( I'm referring to myself and any of those that still consider themslves newb's) and then to call us knifemakers. I think a lot of, what I call, BIG TIME knife makers, that have attained a cerain level of quality craftsmanship AND NEVER lets it slip even a little, should have a little cranial swelling.
Remember, there is a fine line between confidence and arrogance.

I'll speak for myself, and I'm sure there are hundreds if not thousands of guys like me out there that will agree and are so THANKFUL, that you all are the way you are, I have memory issues, but I don't ever forget the "Big Time" or any other makers that took time out of their day to answer my questions, which at times might have been a silly question from a "big ole dumb Red Neck down in Alabama! And it has NEVER been a problem, for any of you to take time out of your day to explain what others might consider an elementary question.

And I'm sure there is someone right now thinking, as they read this, that I'm just a butt-kisser, first off they can kiss mine! Second, if they aren't smart enough to let the accomplished makers, that freely share their knowledge, know the impact that they have had on us individually, their too dumb to be making knives anyway. And probably don't have the giving mentality that makes being apart of this ELITE group anyway.

BTW, The ELITE I speak of, has nothing to do with their knives, it has to do with Character, Heart, and appreciation for others desires to attempt to learn a difficult skill that they most likely leearned the hard way.

Personally, I questioned myself, if I was good enough to be a part of such a group. Knowing how the 'Rock Stars' of this industry act, at times it still blows me away the way that the "famous" makers treat everyone else. I've said it many times, the entire concept of sharing the hard earned and some times, paid for knowledge to someone that could end up being the competition, it just amazes me that we all want to make others excel in an industry that without that help may have given up, instead of creating the next Bill Moran or the next William Scagel.

You, Steve Janik, Kevin Cashen, Ed Caffrey, Frank Niro, Michael Burch, Randy& Randy Jr., Bossdog, (had to add one more) Doug Lester, the list just keeps going, there is no way I could name ever Knife Dog that has gone out of their way to help me and so many others, so everytime I have the chance to help anyone that wants to learn something that I'm competent with and can help, I do so to re-pay ALL of you guys that did the same for me.

I'll be announcing the launch of the Central Alabama Knife Makers Club in another post later, this too is to pay homage to all of those that have helped me, while giving me the chance to learn more, I'll have a platform to help a lot more folks that want to learn.

This post got a little out of hand, but when it comes to showing my appreciation for all of you that jump in to help, to teach, to do whatever you can to make the future of quality HandMade knives a possibility, all I can say is it is extremely important fo rme to say THANK YOU, and even more important for me to make those that have helped and inspired me, to FEEL that they have made a difference in my life, making knives or otherwise. Sorry I got a little long there, but when something really means a lot to me, I don't want to get my point across, I want force it into the places that need to know that you all are so appreciated! Thanks, Rex
No time to check for typo's so please excuse them, Thanks!

One time at a gun show I was sitting across from a way better maker than myself and watched him sell knives while I just ate beef jerky and sat there nervously of coarse not selling anything even though my prices were almost give away. The quality of the work seemed to make the sales happen. I just wasnt there yet so when things slowed down on Sunday I went and talked to him and asked him some questions that would help me make a better knife. He said "I dont tell anybody my procedures". I said "sorry to bother you" and never talked to him again after that. It may have been that same day I decided to not be "that guy" and that if people want to know how to make knives and if I know the answers whether hard learned or expensive I would help them. We are all in this together like birds of a feather.

Thanks Rex for all the words, they mean allot to me. I wonder if I got enough attention as a child?

We are all in this together like birds of a feather.

Thanks Rex for all the words, they mean allot to me. I wonder if I got enough attention as a child?

You are so welcome, being that we all have this common bond, we should be considerd a "Brotherhood" I think I'm going to use that for my Makers Club! How does, Central Alabama Knife Makers Brotherhood sound? Yeah that's a bit wordy. I coul try to make an acronym out of it....where's Murph!?

If you grew up like me, attention was'nt on the days agenda, it was work, work and work some more.

I really wish we could weed out those knife makers that want to make it an exclusive club, while I can understand why any of them wouldn't want to give away a valueable product (knowledge) that he probably had to work for. Just think about the Japanese Master knife and sword smiths, their first 2 years is a mostly unpaid internship where all they do is chop coal! How many of us would be willing to do that? I'm not agreeing with him, I just understand his position. Thankfully, it's not that way anymore, for the most part, there are still a few that want to treat the sharing of info a guarded "Trade Secret", most of them don't spend much time on-line!

I want all of the Dogs out there, that have gone out of their way to help any and everyone that needs it. That I have so much appreciation for all y'all have done and continue to do, it just needed to be said out loud, I am so Thankful for the generosity of so many people on this forum, I'm going to show it to each of y'all one at a time! Thanks! For ALL you do! Rex

this is why Your the man!! You and all knife makers that are willing to school others!!
That Ladder pattern on that fighter is Awesome!!Your work always amazes me.Thanks
One time at a gun show I was sitting across from a way better maker than myself and watched him sell knives while I just ate beef jerky and sat there nervously of coarse not selling anything even though my prices were almost give away. The quality of the work seemed to make the sales happen. I just wasnt there yet so when things slowed down on Sunday I went and talked to him and asked him some questions that would help me make a better knife. He said "I dont tell anybody my procedures". I said "sorry to bother you" and never talked to him again after that. It may have been that same day I decided to not be "that guy" and that if people want to know how to make knives and if I know the answers whether hard learned or expensive I would help them. We are all in this together like birds of a feather.

Back