Master Knifemakers Mindset?

Hankins

After years of practice practice practice... Believe it is time to get serious.
On a good day my blades turn out somewhat average and a little disapointing sometimes.
How does one "Push Thru This" to get to the next level and stay there?
Have watched a number of makers over the years make the leap to knifemaking stardom.... How?

I've been making knives for 3 years and probably still haven't broken 100 knives. I am no expert by any means, but I think that grinding has a lot to do with feeling the wheel and the heat. The better I can feel what is going on, the better my grinds turn out. For those reasons, I don't use a work rest, push stick, gloves, or anything that limits my feel or movement. Muscle memory is also imortant so try to grind several knives a time.

Why do some guys do so well? That has to do with design IMHO. Both visual and function.
-John

Though I'm reluctant myself, I believe you have to show your work to as many 'experts' as you can and seek constructive criticism, not attaboys. I'm amazed at the time and effort a 'master' will spend with someone who's honestly looking for the next level.

Craig

I don't think there is any magic formula for making the leap to knifemaker "stardom". I think what's required is a deep commitment to making each knife better than the last one, as well as the foresight to understand that each and every day that you walk into the shop, your going to learn something new. Something that every "knife star" does is to build the type/kind of knives that are in demand within their niche area. And in many ways that niche has defined the knifes that those makers build, and have become known for.

If you pay close attention, you'll notice, those who have achieved that level of success that we will call "knife stardom" never really set out to achieve that. They made the best knives they could, continually sought to be better at it tomorrow than they were today, and are honest and fair in their dealings with others. The "stardom" thing only came after many years.

My own personal story involved scratching and clawing my way along, robbing Peter to pay Paul for about 9 years before I achieve any level of what I would call success. For me, I considered myself successful when I could stop robbing the family checkbook to pay for my knifemaking habit, and it fully paid for itself....and then some.

I can remember a time when I used to think that all I wanted was to become one of the "knife stars". But over time I realized that I am right were I'm suppose to be, and although I continually work to be a better Bladesmith/Knifemaker, that doesn't mean I'll ever be one of "the best". For me it's all about the journey, and all the wonderful people and experiences along the way.

C'mon Robert. Your work sure was very good a while Back so I know it sure is in you. Get back in the Groove Buddy!!!;)2thumbs

C'mon Robert. Your work sure was very good a while Back so I know it sure is in you. Get back in the Groove Buddy!!!;)2thumbs

For Instance, I have that "Whisper n the Dark" you did. beautiful piece2thumbs

Stabber
Thanks for the kind words :bud:
Remember making that blade and still have the pattern...
Was making alot more blades then and this is like Marksmanship a Soft Skill

Guess what I am asking is more along the lines of "Planning and Vision" of the pieces created.

Ed,
I think you make some good points. Myself, I just like making knives because it is an artistic outlet for me. It gives me a real level of satisfaction from a creative point of view that I don't have in my real job. And when I am working on a knife that I really like, the result is usually really pleasing to me. It is good that I am able to recoup most of the cost involved in making knives, also. And you are right about each knife being better than the last one. As you make each one the lines get better, the ergonomics are better, the finish is better. Great point.
-John

I agree with trying to make each knife better than the last one, in doing so, I continue to learn from each knife, If I ever quit trying to improve, I will quit learning. I will never be a "Knife Star", but I am paying for all of my knifemaking habit from knives, it wasn't always that way, maybe someday I can even turn a profit.
Dale

Sometimes, a change in materials and or an attempt at a style change even for just one knife will help to provide a different attitude or avenue to travel. Frank

Hi Robert , Having looked at your site , I see nothing wrong with those knives . But you mention - Planning and vision . I guess you have to define what it is you want to make . I see all Tactical on your site , with a Bowie in progress . Is it High-end Bowies that really are your passion ? I know they're mine . I know my skill set changed Dramatically when I set my mind to making a D. E. Henry style Bowie . You obviously have the skill to do it all , so shoot for it , make your Masterpiece .

Make knives you love and love making them. That's the only advice I have. Still waiting on stardom though. :D

what's required is a deep commitment to making each knife better than the last one, as well as the foresight to understand that each and every day that you walk into the shop, your going to learn something new.
although I continually work to be a better Bladesmith/Knifemaker, that doesn't mean I'll ever be one of "the best". For me it's all about the journey, and all the wonderful people and experiences along the way.

Hankins,
WOW Ed, words of wisdom! When I read this initial post, the first question that popped into my mind was what defines a "Knife Star", or better who's definition are you going to use, to define yourself. I know for me, operating my knife making venture without having to take money from the family budget would be a huge accomplishment. Making a profit isn't something I concern myself with right now, because I know if I NEVER sold a knife, I would still be making them. Being "the best", or "the Star", usually is based on someone else's opinion, something you can't dictate, other than by following the same advice that Ed has already shared, by being better tomorrow. Once you realize that it's a personal journey, a personal quest to make each one better, or to execute a certain style to a set standard that meets those standards, then you can define your own level of Stardom. There is no other feeling that I can compare to when someone really appreciates my work, and when that person is willing to spend their hard earned money on one of my knives, then that satisfaction makes me feel like a "Knife Star"! I'm not going to worry too much about who thinks I'm this or that, I'm going to be me, do my best to treat everyone fairly, and at the very least - be nice to all that will allow me to. And strive everyday to make better, more functional, better performing, good looking knives. I make knives for so many reasons, but the main one is because I feel like I have to. I've erased more words here than I've typed trying to explain that statement, I guess in person I might be able to stumble my way through explaining it, I do know it's the thing I look forward to do everyday, to discover what I'm capable of, to push the envelope of my skill to a higher level and learn more about all things knives, no matter if it has to do with wood, metallurgy or blade smithing, it doesn't matter, as long as I'm learning something I didn't know, it makes for a great day. The never ending pursuit of excellence, I'm not sure if perfection is attainable, but I do know that getting close is. If I can just get a little closer to perfect this time that I was last time....I'll feel like a STAR! I guess my whole point is it all depends on how you feel about yourself, if your privileged enough that people will spend their hard earned money on something that you've created, I'd say that your on your way, but do figure out what your definition of Knife Star is, that's the beginning. I know that Ed Caffrey is a KNIFE SUPER STAR! Not merely based on how exceptional his knives are (which they are phenomenal) but also based on the simple fact that he gives. Time, knowledge, and opinions, he freely gives encouragement to those that are new to knife making. I know I sound like a brown noser, but I'll risk it. I remember one of the very first questions I asked, no one offered any advice, for a couple of days, then the one person that does give me feed back, is Ed. OF COURSE I knew who he is, and being a new maker I was blown away that HE is the one that answered my questions, it's that type of class that sets the good apart from the GREATEST! Another, STAR is Michael Burk, I thought it was funny that he chimed in, acting like he's not a KNIFE STAR, much like Ed, it's that type of class, that type of modesty that in the long run sets apart those that will be remembered as the greatest! A great example is D.E. Henry, while his work spoke for itself, his personality did just as well. The constant requests for his induction into the ABS Hall of Fame, and the reluctance of the Board to not allow his induction, now is that based on his personality or his craftsmanship? I have my own opinions about that situation, which now isn't the time to go into. But a fine example. I know, again I've gone too long, but this is a great topic, I guess it all depends on what your goals are, and what you want to accomplish, I'll stop now, Rex

Good, better, best.
Never ever rest.
Until your "good" is better,
and your "better" is the Best

Sounds cheesy, but it helps remind me to keep trying.

"Make knives you love and love making them." Mr. Burch, that is outstanding advice and a lot of wisdom in one simple sentence.

Some of these guys are so modest it makes me want to just sit down and cry, knowing the kind of quality they put out!

Last edited:
Back