Matchlock Axe/Pistol

Bruce,
Looking great with the full mock up of the finished piece!
It's my understanding that some Honda Motorcycles can have more USA made parts than a Harley Davidson.

So it could still be all USA made?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

That thing is making my head spin!

I'm going to suggest 'Smaug' as a name. The old dragon boasted: "My armour is like tenfold shields, my teeth are swords, my claws spears, the shock of my tail a thunderbolt, my wings a hurricane, and my breath death!"

Seems like a good fit to me!

Where did this quote come from? Wow, the "breath death" is a topper. How is the pronunciation of Smaug? Smog?

That quote is direct from The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien. Now that I think about it, given the upcoming movie you'll have a hard time convincing anyone that you made the axe/pistol first and named it second if you call it "Smaug". :3:

I have heard (in movies, etc.) it pronounced so it rhymes with "dog" and also with "dawg" (I guess those sound the same if you're from certain areas of the country, LOL). In appendix E of The Lord of the Rings, Tolkien says: 'as in loud, (or) how"' but I have never heard it actually pronounced that way. I guess it's open to interpretation. ;)

Loving this journey Bruce !

Merely curious though, any plan for sights ?

I would imagine a warrior class horseman wouldn't have much trouble holding minute-of-dragon grouping instinctively but sights might be handy for getting a furry critter in the pot on expedition.

Can't wait to see this firestick go BOOM !

-Josh

Awesome suggestion for sure. The Death Breath gets my blood up although Smog, I mean "Smaug" doesnt have the sound I'm looking for.

Josh, I thought about sights but may opt to leave em off in favor of a clean muzzle. Small sights would work for camp meat though. Still pondering.

Some shots of drilling, counter-boring and tapping for the trigger guard and single tang attachment hole.

also 2 of the employees hard at work.

and a pic of the 2 piece bolt for the serpentine for my buddy Dave Larsen.

screwsandtappingholes001.jpg

screwsandtappingholes002.jpg

screwsandtappingholes003.jpg

screwsandtappingholes006.jpg

screwsandtappingholes007.jpg

screwsandtappingholes008.jpg

screwsandtappingholes009.jpg

screwsandtappingholes010.jpg

Thanks Bruce, I get it now. :) Man, I love watching you work. The brass inserts that you're tapping for the trigger guard are the cat's meow. I take it you machined those too. This piece is wonderful Bruce. I dig it more every day, and = that's saying something! I think about your project often during the day, just wishing I had machines like yours and your skill applying them. Then all I'd need is your vision! LOL! Not asking for much. :) Thanks again for the time you take posting this and explaining what you're doing. I know how much it costs you. Giving to the community like you do is truly something special. Thank you.

"Are you done yet? we want to play" (at least thats what my dogs are like)

"Why can't we get to shoot it"

"Tooth marks make excellent checkering"

There is my 2c worth, and I over charge :)

Great build, I don't know how you even thought of the concept let alone made it a reality. Bruce you are well deserving of the MS title

LOL, Copper has been checkering all the cardboard in the shop. Hes good at it now after 2 years of practice.

At the time I was a nobody in this business. I could make a good looking knife and I've always thought they looked as good as a Loveless but without the heritage he had/has people arent going to take my knockoff serious. We/I am much better off to blaze my own trail and hope it leads up instead of off a cliff.

Excellent words to keep a newbie like me motivated.

Sounds like age discrimination to me.
Hope they don't "kick us off the couch" anytime soon.
The floor is a cold and lonely place my friend.

Back