Matchlock Axe/Pistol

Unreal Bruce.
We definitely need some new adjectives to describe your work.
I'd like to submit:
Bruce-tacular
Bump-nominal
Bump-pendous
Bruce-o-licious (that ones a little iffy)
BR-awesome
Or just BR-illiant.

Ps. Nice to see that you got your holiday manicure early this year.

I was thinking Bump-o-licious before I got that far into your list... I think either version is questionable...

Not sure about Bump-o-licious, They called me "Bruce-Inator" when I worked at the prison.
Unreal Bruce.
We definitely need some new adjectives to describe your work.
I'd like to submit:
Bruce-tacular
Bump-nominal
Bump-pendous
Bruce-o-licious (that ones a little iffy)
BR-awesome
Or just BR-illiant.

Ps. Nice to see that you got your holiday manicure early this year.

I'm tired of rubbing coats on the stock now. I've no idea how many there are but it looks about right with the grains pores filled and a gloss finish. I wet sanded the surfaces with water and 2000 grit sandpaper and gave it a buff with a tiny bit of green rouge on a loose cotton wheel and sealed it with 2 coats of carnuba wax. The depth clarity is very nice. The ram rod handle and powder flask are still getting finish applied but they are nearly done too.

I'm assembling the internal mechanisms and making permanent pins. The height of the trigger pin is important as the outer plate holds it in place. The hardened pin has a rounded head and will contact and rub the plate with no noticeable drag. The pin that operates the serpentine will be attached permanately to the serpentine. Pictures coming soon of that.

finalfinishandassembly002.jpg

finalfinishandassembly003.jpg

finalfinishandassembly005.jpg

After finally waking up from Thanksgiving feasting I got back out to my project.
The serpentine linkage pin needs to be a hardened one for reduced friction strength and also have a head to attach to the serpentine. This 3/16" pin is made of 0-1 steel and is used in plastic injection molding and perfect for this. I counterbored for the head and rounded it for the old-timey look.

I honed in the pivot on the serpentine with fine valve lapping compound and needed to reduce the thickness of the bronze spacer to reduce wobble from the serpentine. This shows witness marks of high spots that need to be sanded down. After several times sanding and reducing the spacer it now has minimal wobble with the pivot screw torqued. A drop of oil and its very smooth now.

turkeydayandassemblyonaxe005.jpg

turkeydayandassemblyonaxe006.jpg

turkeydayandassemblyonaxe011.jpg

turkeydayandassemblyonaxe012.jpg

turkeydayandassemblyonaxe013.jpg

turkeydayandassemblyonaxe014.jpg

turkeydayandassemblyonaxe015.jpg

Here is a couple shots of the new slow match from Brownells.

turkeydayandassemblyonaxe017.jpg

turkeydayandassemblyonaxe018.jpg

Last edited:
I was away for the weekend and look what I missed! Dang Bruce, this is coming along so nicely it's turning out just like I imagined. Maybe even better...but I have high expectations for these projects. :) Beautiful work Bruce, I'm really digging the way the serpentine works. Like I said before, these WIPs are like reading a great novel; when you start getting to the end, there's real sadness because you know one day there won't be any more to see. Sigh. Please tell us you'll do another WIP soon after you're rested up from this one. ??? :D You're my hero.

That is AWESOME Bruce. Thanks for taking the time to post all of your progress! You are the consummate craftsman!

That is AWESOME Bruce. Thanks for taking the time to post all of your progress! You are the consummate craftsman!

I appreciate the compliments. This project is getting close. Still need to shoot it for real this time. Kinda worried the match won't light the powder instantly. A few more pins to make and rivet the axe bit and make an interior for the box.

Lookin' great there, Bruce. That's a sweet sheen on the stock. Didja get that big sander motor up and running again?

Lookin' great there, Bruce. That's a sweet sheen on the stock. Didja get that big sander motor up and running again?

Hi Roger, I finally got the box down from the top shelf. It's a perfect fit don't you think?
Yes, I had to put a new controller on it at the tune of $428

Bruce,
Do you or your clients ever have these projects appraised for insurance purposes?
I will bet that you would NEVER duplicate one for what the original price was. Building this type of one of a kind piece of art could never be truly estimated before the process begins.
I know that the first guy to buy this gets the absolute best deal and the price would skyrocket if these pieces ever change hands.

Without mentioning the specific pieces, I have been at shows where new owners took possession of their new "Bump" and were offered much, much more on the spot to sell it.

Art value, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. Just think of what this work will be worth 20 or 50 years in the future.

Just my two cents,
Steve

I've never had one appraised. The value is across the board depending on who you talk to. I made some "in-line" black powder pistols with a folding blade on the side and it got the "thumbs down" from the Traditional pistol forum. Apparently "in-line" isnt worth much but with the "Under Hammer" collectors they were very impressed. I think people have their own ideas of what they like and dont like and dont want to change. If I had a manager that could put this in the right crowd of motivated bidders I may be able to pay off the 3rd morgage on our trailor house. :)

Working on the box again today, I cut some 1/4" masonite into strips and after allot of re-arranging things I have a plan. I went to the fabric store and bought some black micro-fiber and some foam headliner material.

woodpeckeraxegunandRicksbowie011.jpg

woodpeckeraxegunandRicksbowie012.jpg

woodpeckeraxegunandRicksbowie013.jpg

woodpeckeraxegunandRicksbowie014.jpg

Back