Milling machine for folders?

csalt09

I plan on doing 3-6 folders a month and am looking for opinions on milling machines. First off, would it be worth getting one for 3-6 folders a month. Second; being price and space are a concern, would the bench top models from say harbor freight worth it. I have a little unimat with mill attachment but it is just way to under powered.

I believe what you really want if you don't have one is a surface grinder. Even after making liner locks for 25 years or so I think that is the third most needed tool.A good belt grinder and drill press are first. A friend and I are working on a small change for disc grinders that we presently feel will improve their use for folder making. The surface grinder would still be the correct tool for the job. Frank

I agree with Frank. If you don't have a surface grinder, knowing now what I wish I would have known way back when, a surface grinder would have come WAY before a mill..... if folder parts are not FLAT, the rest doesn't matter. I did the surface plate thing for about a year, and its a ton more work and time, and the parts still are not flat enough. Of course I'm assuming that you already have the grinder and a GOOD drill press.

That being said, I personally would not buy a Harbor Freight mill. I've seen too many folks do it over the years, and the majority were sorry they'd ever purchased it..... more of a frustration and a pain in the rear then a usable machine. I also say that from personal experience....I owned (past tense) a Harbor Freight benchtop mill, and it gave me nothing but grief. Last year I purchase a Grizzly G0704 benchtop mill, and have been nothing but pleased with it. Night and Day difference when compared to the Harbor Freight in terms of quality, accuracy, and usability.

I agree that a surface grinder would be a wise investement, short of getting precision ground stock from the get go. That said, my knee mill is quickly becoming one of my most used shop tools. A mill is good for so many things, I just couldn't see being without one anymore.

A mill is good for so many things, I just couldn't see being without one anymore.

Amen to that! Even though I've had a mill of one type or another in the shop for years, I still catch myself thinking..... "How in the world did I ever get along without one?" :) I also have to catch myself sometimes when responding to posts on the forums....and realize that not everybody does have a mill in their shops.....many times I've gone back and deleted my replies because the thought hit me..... "Maybe this person doesn't have a XXXXX".

Last edited:
Thanks guys, this is exactly the info I need. I've been wanting a surface grinder but didn't realize it would be that useful. Ill start looking for one and save the mill for later.

What kind of folders are you going to be making?
I use my milling machine a lot when I'm making lock backs, for slipjoints I only use it for grinding the nail nick,I don't use it at all for making liner locks.
I would not want to make folders without my surface grinder and horizontal belt grinder.

What kind of folders are you going to be making?
I use my milling machine a lot when I'm making lock backs, for slipjoints I only use it for grinding the nail nick,I don't use it at all for making liner locks.
I would not want to make folders without my surface grinder and horizontal belt grinder.

What do you do specifically with your horizontal belt grinder that you wouldn't do with your vertical grinder? Just wondering as I am in the process of making my grinder go horizontal

What do you do specifically with your horizontal belt grinder that you wouldn't do with your vertical grinder? Just wondering as I am in the process of making my grinder go horizontal

I built a dedicated horizontal belt grinder,it has three different wheels and a flat platen that I can grind on without changing anything. I do the final profiling of all my parts,liners,scales blade tangs and springs. It's much easyer to grind to a scribed line when I can rest the part flat on the tool rest and look down on it,all my lines come out perpendicular. You will realy enjoy using your grinder in the horizontal position and when you get tired of switching it back and forth you will see why I built a dedicated horizontal grinder. I sell plans and instructions for the one I designd,let me know when your interested in building one. It's not an absolute necessity but it sure makes folder building easyer.

I built a dedicated horizontal belt grinder,it has three different wheels and a flat platen that I can grind on without changing anything. I do the final profiling of all my parts,liners,scales blade tangs and springs. It's much easyer to grind to a scribed line when I can rest the part flat on the tool rest and look down on it,all my lines come out perpendicular. You will realy enjoy using your grinder in the horizontal position and when you get tired of switching it back and forth you will see why I built a dedicated horizontal grinder. I sell plans and instructions for the one I designd,let me know when your interested in building one. It's not an absolute necessity but it sure makes folder building easyer.

I am sure I will be, thanks for the info!

These makers are GOOD when compared to many they are the BEST. Go with what they say and you will certainly be going in the right direction.
Frank.
To see some of my work, please go to Custom Knife Gallery of Colorado.
Frank

Back