my first slipjoint

Andrew is correct. I've made many folders using 154 CM for both the blade and spring. I always tempered the spring to 45-50rc. Usually around 47Rc.

Thanks guys I will have to fwd that chart to him as he said his chart only goes up to 1000f and shows that ending up at 61rc.
He said if I were to grind the spring thinner it should be fine but Im not so sure....The blade and spring are already in the mail back to me so if I can't make it work as is or bring the temper down myself somehow I'd have to ship it all the way back to him to do over....

Thanks guys I will have to fwd that chart to him as he said his chart only goes up to 1000f and shows that ending up at 61rc.
He said if I were to grind the spring thinner it should be fine but Im not so sure....The blade and spring are already in the mail back to me so if I can't make it work as is or bring the temper down myself somehow I'd have to ship it all the way back to him to do over....

You MIGHT be able to temper the spring your self with a handheld torch, though I'd recommend something like a 1100F or 1200F "tempilstick" so that you have some sort of idea when you reach temperature.
Anymore, I spring temper all of my backsprings with a torch after a standard tempercycle or two, just going off of color. Granted, that's for 1095 high carbon. Once you get up to 11/1200 degrees, colors won't do much for you.

This is for 154 CM but I assume it would be the same for CPM 154?

Here's the data sheet for the CPM 154: http://www.alphaknifesupply.com/Pictures/Info/Steel/CPM154-DS.pdf

It looks very similar, although the temper chart doesn't go as high in the latter data sheet, I imagine you'd see about the same results.

Now whether CPM steels make as good, better, or worse of a spring, I'm not nearly smart enough to tell you. I'm not sure if there'd really be a practical difference (good or bad) or not.

Got it finished up this evening.
I used 1/16" aluminum liners and cocobolo dymondwood scales.
Definitely not perfect but I'm proud as heck with it. It is pretty snappy opening and closing but far from difficult. I will be making more of these slippys for sure. Thanks everyone for all your help along the way. Now for some pics.

Yippee for you!

looks good for your first folder? Each one gets easyer as you Learn the mechanics involved in folders.

use you folder for a while and it will tell you a lot about what you want to do next time.

Erik

I really like the simple shape and the useful thought that went into this knife. Most of all it is not a standard 90° plunge line which to me truly sets hand made knives apart from productions.
It also is making me want to make a folding knife now. Thanks for the inspiration.

Back