My latest frontier sheath........

ChuckBurrows

Been uber busy so haven't had much of a chance to post much, but this one I'm real tickled with and so is the owner......

Here's a sheath I did for Deb Mann, wife of knifemaker Mike Mann of Idaho Knife Works - the knife is one of his special HBC styles with a Damascus blade and Mammoth Ivory grips - Deb wanted lots of fooferaw so that's what she got.......brain tain cover, beads, buffalo hair, bells – pretty much everything but a whistle! The basic idea for the sheath is a compendium of 4 originals from circa 1840-1850's.
IKW-mann-hbc-2010-2.jpg

IKW-mann-hbc-2010-1.jpg

IKW-mann-hbc-2010-3.jpg

Dang, that is a beautiful sheath. Chuck I love your work. The bead work is great and everything you added to the sheath makes it look really authentic.

Larry

I have your dvd and it is my best learning tool I have. Glad your here Chuck. Kellyw

Outstanding as usual. I really like the combination of blue and white beads. It's a little busier than I personally prefer for my knives but man I do enjoy looking at your sheaths.

Thanks for sharing,
SDS

I think this is one of the best sheaths I've seen you do Chuck. I've also been a big fan of Mike's work for some time too, especially pieces like this Hudson Bay Camp Knife. Both pieces really complement each other.

Last edited:
Is the beadwork done in the lazy stitch method? I can never get my beads to lay straight like that.

Sorry, I just had to come back and take another look.
SDS

Thanks all for the kind comments.........
Is the beadwork done in the lazy stitch method? I can never get my beads to lay straight like that. SDS
Yes it's the lazy or now-a-days known as the lane stitch, only it's the Cheyenne method, a slightly different method than the Lakota, in which the beads generally lie flatter rather than being humped.
Some tips for doing the lane stitch:
1) it's best to use only real braintan or the German tan from Crazy Crow - both are more expensive than chrome tan buckskin, but IMO the only way to do it right.
2) While not PC I use masking tape to lay out my lanes - I learned to use tape from the Oglala ladies at Pine Ridge some 40 years ago - helps me keep things straighter than drawn lines
3) I'm always slightly adjusting each line of beads as I go along - about every three or four lines I hold the piece up at arms length to get a better overall view.
4) Don't fret if it's not perfect - post rez and modern beadwork tends to be much more even than the old stuff and since I'm replicating old stuff that's what I compare mine too especially since all of my work is pre-1860 and most pre-1850 style, in fact that's why the blue and white beads only on this piece - varying shades of blue and white were the two most popular colors in the early days during which there were many fewer colors than later. I alos only use 8/0 pound beads and 10/0 seed beads, the most common sizes on early, especially pre-1850 work.

Hope that helps..........

Chuck, thank you very much for taking the time to answer me with as much detail. I love this style of sheath and wish I had more time to devote to learning how to do it.

Any suggestions on books to use as resources? Even with the internet I find it difficult to find good photos to use as reference.

Thanks again for all of the information.
SDS

You're welcome Shawn -
Crazy Crow carries a book by Alex Kozlov on making Indian style sheaths that is very god and has some excellent examples of originals.

The following two have some excellent originals - check Amazon or Ebay for best buys on these:
- “Early Knives & Beaded Sheaths of the American Frontier”
John Baldwin

- “Peacemakers”
R. L. Wilson

- "Native American Weapons"
- "Buckskin and Buffalo: The Artistry of the Plains Indians"
Colin Taylor - Taylor also has a bunch of other books on the Plains Indians that have seom examples

and if everything goes as planned we will be shooting a new how-to video on frontier style sheaths in the next couple of months...........

websites with originals:
http://anthro.amnh.org/anthropology/databases/north_public/north_public.htm

http://www.splendidheritage.com/nindex.html

http://www.bbhc.org/collections/bbhc/index_pim.cfm?CFID=29627877&CFTOKEN=40932099

Also check out the auction houses such as:
Gary Henderschott (sp?)
Cowans
Butterfields
Greg Martin
there are several others as well as antique dealers with

Chuck, thank you for the references. I will look into those books. I may already have one or two of them but certainly not all of them. I'll check those sites as well.

Thanks again,
SDS

Very very nice sheat Chuck as always. I am trying to learn to make beaded sheats and historical knives. I am working on a hudsonbayknife and will try to make a nice sheat to it. Scalphunter helps me so it will be correct :D.

I will try to find the books you suggested. Thank you :D

Seved

I sure wouldn't have a clue where to start on a sheath like that. But I do know how to admire your work. Very cool sheath.

I have Been trying to order - “Early Knives & Beaded Sheaths of the American Frontier”
John Baldwin this book for awhile. Amzone and alibris have it listed but it wrong book I tried ordering from them both and got the same book I am in the process fighting with them to correct it. Great work Chuck.

Back