My New Logo

HELLGAP

Dealer - Purveyor
I put alot of thought into this logo and I drew up this one sent the picture to Ernie Grospitch and he came up with a fantastic replica of my drawing. He is top knotch and a great person to talk with. And to think I was gonna try to do this myself. No wonder why everyone likes his work. Thanks Ernie , kellyw
HPIM1969.jpg
HPIM1970.jpg

The logo is nice, but I would highly encourage you to use at least your last name instead of initials. The thing you must consider is this....

When someone looks at your logo on a knife can they....

1. Know a specific name of the individual or company that made the knife?

2. Can they view the logo, then easily find a way to contact you? (can they take the information in the logo and look you up easily, either on the net or by looking in the knives annuals or other publications?)

Way too often over the years I have had folks come to my shop with a knife that had initials or some obscure logo on it, asking if I knew who made it, so they could order another one....in almost every case, it was impossible to track down the maker. If they can't easily find you, then they certainly cannot purchase/order another knife from you.

Good points, Ed. However, if KD Knives is a registered business and Kelly has KDKnives.com or KDNivesCanada.com, or both, it might be a moot point there!

Maybe... If your company name is known well enough, or becomes well know enough that potential customers can associate a specific makers name with the company, then it might be OK. However, in the custom knife world, things tend to be on a more personal, or individual to individual level than most other business scenarios. Using a company name on a knife as a custom maker is just one more level of confusion for a potential customer. I have seen instances over the years of potential customers confusing a single individual custom knifemaker with a production knife company because of the name on the knife/knives. There is a major difference in this perception.
For example, my company is "The Montana Baldesmith" but I will not mark my knives like that because it is much simpler for someone to see my name on a knife, realize that I am an individual custom maker, and find me, versus having to see "The Montana Bladesmith" then figure out who goes by that "handle", and then find my contact information.... it's just one less layer that a potential customer has to find their way through in order to get to me and the knife/knives they are seeking.
I'm not saying that marking your blades with your name is the right choice in everybody's case, but am saying that I have seen enough over the years to understand that the use of a company name on knives, when the producer was a sole individual, can work against, rather than for, those individuals.

Last edited:
I'd say you done just fine because that is how YOU want it.

I see Ed's point and respect his view. However, what if there are 2 Joe Blow knifemakers and both live in the same state? The chances of that happening are slight, but could happen.

Not only that, but it really doesn't matter if you put your name, your company name, or BR549, as long as there is a state, country, or something else that tells the origin of where the knife was made.

If I seen your knife and wanted to find you, I would know to look for KD Knives out of Canada. That meets Ed's requirements to the tee. You just used your company name instead of your first and last name. They will be able to find you.

No different than marking it JOE BLOW FORGE, JOE BLOW KNIVES, or Simply the name JOE BLOW. They are all the name needing for customers to find you.

Don't mean to upset anyone with this post and these are just my honest opinions.

No offense taken on my part at all. :)

I was only trying to relay some experience, and what I've witnessed over the years. I still think it's a mistake to mark a company name on knives that are produced by a sole individual maker....for a number of reasons, but that's just me.
OK, on to more forum fun! 2thumbs

Back