"My very first knife" - post up!

Bruce Bump

Forum Owner-Moderator
I made and sold my first knife for $25 to a friend back in 1988 and never saw it until this summer he came to town with it for a tune up so I took a picture of it. Its made from bandsaw steel and elk antler. Pretty basic by todays standards but I was sure proud of it way back then. Look close to the scrimmed makers mark. Its a back to back BB. There are only about 3 knives marked that way before I got a stamp.

firstknivesCurtandStrauss002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I made and sold my first knife for $25 to a friend back in 1988 and never saw it until this summer he came to town with it for a tune up so I took a picture of it. Its made from bandsaw steel and elk antler. Pretty basic by todays standards but I was sure proud of it way back then. Look close to the scrimmed makers mark. Its a back to back BB. There are only about 3 knives marked that way before I got a stamp.

firstknivesCurtandStrauss002.jpg

Well I think that's a great knife , It looks like a very usable knife. That's what counts!
My first was in 1996 I'll post a pick tomorrow if I can get the darn software to work on my old puter.

Laurence
www.rhinoknives.com/

Yes lets have a look at your first. This could be a thread about first knives. Its interesting that my first knife gave me the same satisfaction as my last knife. That passion is in us from the beginning and stays for life.

Great thread Bruce,I don't want to hijack your thread,but I would like to see a first and last,of the makers here.?
I'll post mine in in a bit.
Nice knife,BTW.

God bless,Keith

Well that is definitely interesting Bruce. Really neat to be able to see all the firsts. I have vowed to keep all of my firsts and never sell them, because I don't want to be stuck with that remorse of knowing what happened to them. So far I have the two below, and a slipjoint. The next style will be a flipper, which I will start on very soon.

The first one I made was a liner lock folder. Took me about a month, but I pulled it off.

22.jpg

Then I went for a fixed blade. Threw in some filework and the handle material is the same Eucalyptus used in the inserts of the linerlock.

fb2.jpg

:cheers:

"First Knife" threads are great!

She's a looker Bruce!

Firstknife.jpg

Here's mine:

Band saw steel off of Fleabay, walnut handle & nickle pins - small paring knife.

It pulled kitchen duty for quite a while before the pin blow out.

The knives below were some of my first attempts at grinding.

Yikes!

FirstGrinds.jpg

Hey, ya gotta start somewhere...

:)

Last edited:
Great thread! :D

My very first. Made from a machete blade, red oak handle, stained red. First sheath also.
2010-09-25%2B09.55.13_Memphis_Tennessee_US.jpg

First Slipjoint, from one of Boss's patterns. ATS34 with brass and buffalo horn
2011-06-25%2B23.27.23.jpg

I love these threads.
Here are my firsts

First knife: Cable damascus with walnut and SS bolsters
DSC00057.jpg

First slippie
Wharnie in ATS34 with Stabalized maple burl
DSCF3269.jpg

Nice additions to the thread guys.
This is one of those "feel good" threads to see our firsts attempts and know we stayed with this and watch them get better each time. Isnt it amazing the passion remains just as strong?

The one on top is cut with a cold chisel,from a very old hand saw
The bottom was cut from a crosscut saw
Second pic is my last linerlock
Those first pictures should make these newer makers we got here feel good about there work.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,171
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 1,172
Last edited:
Wow, you've came along way Keith. I used a torch to cut my first. You can imagine the slag and warp to grind away.

Thanks Bruce.Lots and lots and lots,of scraped steel,titanium,screws,wood,carbon fiber to get this far
I have cut a few with a tourch,what a mess

God bless,Keith

Here is my 1st, I spent ages on it
Then my latest.

It's a great process we go through. as we make each knife, learn and improve. ( though somedays I wonder:biggrin:)

HM 1.JPG

HM 44 45 46 Curly Maple.jpg

Last edited:
My first was o-1 steel and afzalia. I made this knife in a motel room while working out of town for 3 months. I had a couple files and a truck load of sand paper. Felt like I was making a shank to escape but it sure pasted the time. Now I cant get enough knife making. My last knife was a 12-1/2" Alabama damascus and sambar stag fighter with stainless furniture

Attachments

• cat skinner  0-1 005.jpg
    cat skinner 0-1 005.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 233
  • conlin bowie finished 010.jpg
    conlin bowie finished 010.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 230
Thanks Keith, That is a great looking folder you made I just want to say to Mr Bump, If you have anymore of those $25 knifes laying around with your stamp on them, I WILL TAKE THEM ALL. This is a cool thread, thanks for starting it Bruce.

Ok now everyone, tell me what you would pay for Bruce Bumps first knife, I think the price may have gone up a little bit from the original $25

Oh and is there a matching pistol with that knife Bruce?

Last edited:
Jim, You've progressed a mile since the file and sandpaper hunter.
I tried to buy my first knife back for double the money buy Rick wouldnt part with it. He still uses it too which is cool. He made the rawhide sheath himself. I didnt do sheaths back then, still dont like to make sheaths.
Under my bench is a box of discarded blades not nearly as nice as #1 I may consider selling. hehe
Thanks Keith, That is a great looking folder you made I just want to say to Mr Bump, If you have anymore of those $25 knifes laying around with your stamp on them, I WILL TAKE THEM ALL. This is a cool thread, thanks for starting it Bruce.

Ok now everyone, tell me what you would pay for Bruce Bumps first knife, I think the price may have gone up a little bit from the original $25

Oh and is there a matching pistol with that knife Bruce?

Back