"My very first knife" - post up!

boy that's a horrible first knife you should've quit a long time ago :D

really nice first knife Mr. Bump, and its still fashionable and still together make it a winner in my book..

Very cool thread Mr. Bump- your first is a great user and shows your inherent talent for design.
Here is my first (that's the top one) made in 1977 during a night knifemaking class at gun school in Trinidad, CO.
My latest (that's the bottom one) I finished last week. Sadly they look close to the same except for a high polish. Oh well, I've developed my buffer talents anyway :12::lol:
PAFL11.jpg

Last edited:
Ausbrooks, They look nothing alike. Like them both but the bottom one a wee bit more. Nice work and cool design too.

Thanks Bruce- just kind of funny that from day one I can't get enough finger groove- maybe I'll snap out of it soon!

wow Bruce im scared. This is my first baby step into making knives, be nice lol. have no ideal what the steel was it came from a sprocket that only hardened in water. + i was just winging it.

Attachments

• 100_3150.jpg
    100_3150.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
wow Bruce im scared. This is my first baby step into making knives, be nice lol. have no ideal what the steel was it came from a sprocket that only hardened in water. + i was just winging it.

Franklin, Baby Steps. Actually this is a nice design and look how much you learned. It must be W-1 steel I'll bet. Its a shallow hardening steel and works good for knife blades. Thanks for stepping up and showing your stuff. Is this your first and last?

Hey bruce how you like that wood putty pin i cringe to think.And learn i did heres one of the latest. What a few years will do lol.

Attachments

• 100_3144.jpg
    100_3144.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Franklin you have improved. Nice choice of handle wood, Ironwood? No wood putty or grinder marks either. Improved style too.

My same friend that bought my first also bought a few more later. You can see some real improvements. I think these are all under 10 knives I've made.
Notice the bowie with my first engraving on the brass guard? Its also a catalog bought blade. Oh and notice the green buffing compound on the elk crown. hehe

The second knife sports another bandsaw blade with kingwood scales. It also has my stamp on it but shortly after this one I ruined the stamp by hitting a cold blade. I won a blue ribbon in our local county fair with this one.

The last one is my first commisioned knife. It has D-2, Paul Bos heat treat and rosewood. I was on my way to becoming a knifemaker and proud as punch. Its the first one with my Marking Methods Stencil.

firstknivesCurtandStrauss005.jpg

Last edited:
The last one is my first commisioned knife. It has D-2, Paul Bos heat treat and rosewood. I was on my way to becoming a knifemaker and proud as punch. Its the first one with my Marking Methods Stencil.

firstknivesCurtandStrauss005.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Bruce,
I think maybe this one was in our Bladefourms .. com days?? I remember it from then??

I like it! You have the Thumb rest and index finger cutouts/Choil on it! Both Before and after the guard.

I still use Paul Bos Heat Treating exclusively. I just received a batch of blades from them and
have two of my Rhino Euro Chef blades in CPM-D2 in the batch to finish & Handle.

Laurence
www.westsidesharpening.com

Thanks for the kind words bruce, I like your second one its cool. well ill see you at tracys hammer inn in august. this thread is cool. nice to see were everyone started.

Laurence, I used Paul Bos since the beginning too. He was my "secret weapon" for knife sales. I'm sure my own "by guess by golly" heat treatment wouldnt have gotten me very far. I finally just started doing my own air quench steels only a couple years ago when I bought my own rockwell tester. I had Paul Bos do some 1095 blades way back then too until he had to quit because of California state regulations for using his salt pots.

Franklin, Yes I'm looking forward to meeting all my fellow dogs next year.
To see these first knives is fun. When I started there was no internet so I had to mess up allot. Books and videos were my only help.

This was my very first, made earlier this year. Cut from a lawn mower blade, no heat treatment. Oak scales made from an oak branch snagged from the firewood pile. Made it for my son to whittle with.

9ddf4f23.jpg

My last (second) is done but I haven't taken pics yet.

Sebspeed:

That's cool shows some thinking out of the box. Me, I'm not so original. Here's my first second and third in descending order. The first isn't really a "knife" its soft steel that a friend gave me. I leave it unsharpened in the den where the kids, son and friends, hang out. Always enjoy seeing it covered with fingerprints after they've been there.
Jay
DSC_0476.jpg

I started making knives out of Snap-on gasket scrapers back in the late 90's. They were crude but could hold an edge longer than any production knife that I ever owned. I started searching the web to find someone to teach me the craft. John Shore in Anchorage Alaska answered the call. I spent 1 day a month for 9 months in his shop/garage just watching him work. I finally made one with his instruction. He is a meticulous maker/ ex drill Sargent/machinist/mentor. Sometimes I wanted to ring his neck. Now that I am kinda grown up, I am glad I had someone like that to teach me to pay attention to detail and what it takes to make a really fine knife.

This was then!!

IMG_5794.jpg

This is now!!

IMG_5709.jpg

3fingerskinner.jpg

IMG_4726.jpg

here is my first one. finished as of an hour ago. pre-made blade, buffalo horn scales, sandblasted: stainless bolster, tang, and spine. vine pattern file work as well as initials. Christmas present for dad.
DSCN4520.jpg
DSCN4513.jpg

The participation is appreciated guys. Nice first and naturally nicer last knives.

I wish my dad were alive to give him one for Christmas. He is the one that got me interested in folders. He always let me handle his pocket knife and took me to my first gun show where I saw my first custom made knife. I was about 14 years old and marveled at those handmade hunters there. That first exposure stayed with me and finally came out when I was in my 40's. A strong influence I'd say.

Marvin, I love the "Hawg Skinner"

"Marvin, I love the "Hawg Skinner" "

Most makers loath making gut hooks. I find them a fun knife to make. Of course you have to change your SOP when polishing but its a little challenge but really fun to accomplish. I had never seen a gut hook with bolsters and stag, and I had a customer that wanted one so, there ya go. I just got another order for one just like this one, so I will make sure to post pics when I am done.

Most makers loath making gut hooks. I find them a fun knife to make.

Marvin,
I have been wanting to attempt a gut hook blade in a new design me and my son came up with, I
don't think it's something that hasn't been done before by someone somewhere, it started as a copy of a small and I mean very small little knife a friend made as a give away for kids at gun/knife shows, kinda great PR if you ask me, but I'm in no position to make that a habit just yet. Besides what I have in mind should stand on its on. If you don't mind I may barrage you with questions when I get started on it.

So here is my first one, have you seen or made a gut hut knife that was ONLY just the gut hook? I want to say I've seen one, I think it was a manufacturer that made it, I can't remember who it was or any specifics about it. My idea is really simplistic, I've made a rough sketch of it, I can scan it in and send it to you, if you'd like or mind taking a look at it. If my plans go as I have them in mind, it might be a series of small knives of different blade styles and purposes. If there is enough interest, interest meaning buyers, I may take it to the next level and have them water jetted, and attempt to do a production run. Ok, I now see I've rambled on more than normal, it's late and I get even more chatty when I'm tired, so I'll say good night now, Y'all have a great day, Rex

Back