"My very first knife" - post up!

Alright, here you go. First pic is knives 1 through 5. Started in July 2007 with files and sandpaper. Second pic is knife #182, finished New Year's Day 2012. Still rocking the Craftsman 2x42, but have a NWG build about 75% done.

100_1371-e1326944938452.jpg

IMG_1686-e1326593626697.jpg

Nice job Jason, and with a 2x42 no less, do you do a lot of work by hand with sand paper, still? I've been trying to get faster, but I enjoy the hand work I do and know I won't screw it up...too much, with sandpaper!
Keep up the great work, Rex

great job jason, i feel ya i just got a 2x42 after 6 years (call me slow) looks like your doing just fine!

Alright, here you go.
My first knife it is made in the summer of 2007 from a Brusletto blade.
The handle is Olive wood, leather and aluminum.

myfirst.jpg

And here one of my own blades I have made now.
damascusknife34.jpg

Here's my first. My son conned me out of it as soon as I finished it. It's a piece of 1084 that a friend gave me. I added the logo long after I made the knife.
is_00019.jpg

Last edited:
Dang Tom!!!!
You didn't leave much room for imporvemnt!!! I think after making that one you were hooked! If that would have been my first knife, my second would have been awful!!!That's a fine looking knife right there!
Is there anything you'd change on it? Add/Take away? I see one thing that I learned a few months ago, actually the PUP told me about it, and reminded me several times, he saw it on here some where, can you figure out what it is? BTW, what kind of wood is that? Looks a lot like Bloodwood to me. Great FIRST! But you're supposed post a last knife on there too, a comparison of where your skills started at to where they've come to. That one there would be hard to improve on as a beginner, unless...., well, I've always felt that the guys (and girls) that have work experience in certain fields have a step-up over those of us who start out with ZERO metal experience, I think (IMO) the trade with the most advantage is a Machinist, second would probably be a Tool and Die Maker which is very close to a Machinist. So what kind of work did you do before you started making knives? That's very interesting, GREAT JOB on this one, think we can see something a bit newer?

BTW, that sucker looks like it has a hollow grind on it, and it's your first!?!?! And I was starting like you...now I think I hate you!!!!..Just Kidding being there are so few of us Alabamians on here....I guess it's good to have some other talented guys on here with some serious skillz and it's not all up to me to represent the state all by myself, it might leave everyone thinking nobody in the state could make a knife! Thanks for sharing, Rex

Rex, I had a heavy background as a tool grinder for Uncle Sam, before I started making knives. I set up a tool grinding room at one of his depots and ran it for about four years. That isn't wood, it's some kind of man made stuff;. I'm not sure what it is.

Cool thread Bruce!!
I only started making a little over a year ago, friend and fellow KD Brett Mathews got me goin. My first knife (1st pic) was made out of d-2 hollow ground, redwood scales, ss pins, my boss at the time had to have it and he traded me for 3 milgard tuscany windows for our house for it, needless to say i moved through the next 50+ this last year with the wifes blessing, i gave about half away, and am getting ready for my first show in april! heres a pic of a tray of goodies im geetin ready!:biggrin: Greg Haile

Oh ya my first random pattern billet and the shop dogs, what up Bruce!!!:3:

Attachments

• knives 026.jpg
    knives 026.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 113
  • knives 237.jpg
    knives 237.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 110
  • knives 316.jpg
    knives 316.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 113
  • knives 309.jpg
    knives 309.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 104
  • knives 317.jpg
    knives 317.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 99
First knife I started. D2 with Wenge handle. Make with hand tools only with the exception of a drill for the holes.

16year.jpg

First slippie. My own design. O1 with nickel silver bits and pieces and antique white paper micarta.

fhalf.jpg

Alistair

Wow guys, I'm enjoying all this participation. Its neat to see your first knives and some of the more recent ones too. We can see improvements galore. Well, except for Tom, he started out an expert. hehe

Back