My Wifes Anniversary Gift

Thanks Martin. You gave me the idea, I just went with something I thought she would like. Kill em at Blade brother!!!!! She was tickled....My family is what means most to me and if I can bring a smile to her/there face than I am good to go!!!

Chris! Looking great buddy!

I bet she loves it.

Nice work on the sheath too.

2thumbs
Thanks Shank, you guys are awesome. This is my home and where I learn most!

Looks Great.
The sheath looks really nice too.

NIce knife. I may sound dumb but how do you get the jewling on the blade. What is the process?

Gahagan,

Not a dumb question at all. if I have learned anything there is only one dumb question out there....One that doesnt get asked.

I had the same question when I saw Martin's "Six Cleaver". One of the most incredible designs I have ever seen.

A couple weeks ago I got to dreaming up something for the wife. And then remembered Martin's blade and the jeweling he did on it. I immediately contacted Martin and asked how this was done.

What you will need is what is called Cratex. Its a rubberized material with different abrasive grits mixed in. There are called Cratex rods. You simple chuck them in your press, rotary tool, hand drill. Coming down onto the steel at a fast speed will start making little circles. You try and follow the pattern overlapping every circle to your liking and just keep on rockin on. I did however practice on some scrap first. Looked decent so I said I will try it. Did it on my brothers blade and didnt turn out as well as my wifes. Mainly because his was a full flat grind. So make sure your blade is as flat as possible. If you do have a full flat grind, prop it up on something to square it up to your press. I just finished up to 400 grit on the flats, but now that I have done it I think I could get away with a 220 belt. Its all up to what your expecting in the end. The higher grit/polish you have the more it will twinkle.

Good luck on your jeweling. It really is appealing to the eye.

If you have any questions, I would PM Martin though...He is the master!!!!!

Best to you and yours and thanks for the support.

Chris

NIce knife. I may sound dumb but how do you get the jewling on the blade. What is the process?

Last edited:
No problem fellas. Its all about giving back what you learn!!!

Looking forward to seeing the jeweling work guys.

Chris

While waiting for my blanks to show up....I decided to get busy cutting on the Steel Dragon AKA Band Saw. That thing gets old so quick.....LOL It does save time and belts though so I cant complain much. Anyway, just figured I would show you all what I have been up to. I Still have a lot of work to do on them. But since I havent posted an update in awhile, here ya go. I am still working Dogs2thumbs
AGrantsBlade001.jpg

AGrantsBlade003.jpg

BeenBusy005.jpg

GrantsBillet001.jpg

BeenBusy001.jpg

AGrantsBlade007.jpg

AGrantsBlade005.jpg

keep up the good work...have you sold very many yet...

Thanks, Jeff2thumbs

4 of the smaller blades like my wifes are sold. The large Damascus blade with the saw spine is a custom order. Just waiting to get my Entry Tool blanks in from Dave and 2 of those are sold.

Lots in the works, I never expected to take off like thishuh1:unsure::D But I am having fun and thats all that matters. Sending out all of the blades to Brad at Peter's for HT, that relieves the stress of not knowing my own hardness. Brad will take care of that worry for me:D

Looking forward to seeing more from you pardner. Your getting damn good buddy! I still have a ways to go....Cant wait to see the new Mystery Grinder.....Think that may be my next big purchase!!!!

I just wish i had time to grind. My other business has me to busy right now. maybe later in the year....

Well, at least you have the chance to be successful at your other business too brother. You will have to hire some laborers and have them start pumping them babies out so you can focus on knife-making too:D I hope you get back to it soon man. Right now, its the only thing keeping me sane2guns

Back