Naming Knives

wmhammond

I am curious about what you guys think about naming knives or swords or whatever. The Vikings in the 10th century, while occupying England, always named their swords. I notice that a lot of you who are commercial knife makers often name a line of knives. Is a name for a specific knife appropriate? Does naming knives add to their commercial appeal? I am new to knife making and I find myself developing a relationship with a knife I am building and a name seems to come to mind. I don't work on more that one knife at a time because of my shop limitations but I kinda like that. I'm not sure I could ever sell a knife because I put so much of myself into it. Just wondering what you guys think about this. Thanks,

Wallace

Wallace,

Humans are curious critters, some people must name EVERYTHING. Many of the old-timers had names for their rifles, and I have named a couple of my guns. I do draw the line at naming food (that would be critters that will be food) although my first bear, now that he is hanging on the wall did acquire a name, even though there is still some sausage in the freezer.:biggrin: So, in my humble opinion go ahead and name away.

I always name a knife that will have photos taken and put on my website. It's handy for taking orders that way. On the "certificate of authenticity" there is a space for a name but Usually just generalize like "Blue Mountain Hunter" or "Professional Series" or You could name one after an old girl friend like Mabel or Bertha.

Yep! Us humans connect on a personal level with inanimate objects that we enjoy like they had a soul of their own.
Guns knives Planes, trains automobiles and especially ships. This starts a romance of sorts as goofy as it sounds.

I name ALL of my knives, My Rhino Chop, Rhino Asian Chef, The Italian Job for a large Northern Mediterranean Chef knife.
I use to make a model I called The Scalper! That's what it looked like too!

These names not only help give the knives a description they help the knife take on a character of their own when discussing them with prospective or repeat clients.

Plus the names sound a lot less technical and much warmer than just a model number.

Our first Lexus was named Claudia. After 12 years we sold her. We purchased 2 other replacement cars during the same time but, she still kept us safe daily. Everyone in the family loved her.

I have a series of carry knives named the "Gentleman's Carry", "Rustic Carry", and the "Lady's Carry". Basically the same knife in different finishes & handle materials.

Makes the knife identification and purpose known immediately known.

Last edited:
Some of my knives get names before they are even finished. Like Dammit or You SOB. :)

Good stuff right there ^^^. :)

I don't name many of my knives. I have a hard time coming up with names that don't sound stupid or corny.

Some, however, just beg for names.

Usually my knives that get names are bigger bowies and camp knives. A few that I remember: the 'Stormy Night' bowie, and the soon coming 'Stormier Night' sequel, and the 'Green Canyon' bowie.

Sometimes, collectors, peers and my wife have named knives for me. Like: the 'Lone Cloud' bowie named by Dave Lisch, the 'Fade to Black' bowie named by my wife and the soon to be released 'Crazy Stripes' fighter also named by my wife, as she's called it that from the time the blade was created.

Those are a few but normally I don't get hung up on naming every knife.

Last edited:
I give all of mine a name or model number,and I don't care if they sound stupid or corny,that's better than curse words.

Back