Need help naming a new damascus pattern.. This could be fun!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Randy,
The first thing that I noticed was the narrow dark pattern .
It looks like the Vertebrae that makes up your spine.
Great work as always.

You guys are very creative! Im digging it! OK so tomorrow afternoon we will start a POLE with our top 5 or 6 choices and then you all can VOTE on which name we will call it from that day forward!! :) Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions so far.. Keep em coming!

Frank Niro, Someone else already used Totem so if you wanta throw another name out there that would be cool!

I like Intrepid. Kinda has that wild fearless look to me.

in·trep·id/inˈtrepid/
Adjective: Fearless; adventurous

Since I work with geologists at a large oil exploration and production company, the pattern reminded me of seismic data. In particular I thought the part between the "totem poles" looked like a diapir, or salt dome. It could also be an igneous intrusion. I took the picture down the hall to a geologist buddy, and he said the same thing unprompted, so there it is.

You probably don't want to call it "diapir" or "salt dome", but I think INTRUSION or even SEISMIC INTRUSION would be cool. Check out the seismic picture of a salt dome below and you'll see what I mean.

salt_domeSeismic.jpg

HHHDamacusSteel012.jpg

Last edited:
First glance I thought of some Aztec artwork, so maybe Aztec?
Also it reminds me of computer generated fractals to some degree, so maybe Fractal, or Mandelbrot?

Periods of calm broken up by moments of terror, just like law enforcement. I suggest "Moment of Terror."

Kevin

How about "totem pole". It was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the pattern.

Ah, now that the threads have been combined, I see that Steven Janik has already suggested that name...sorry about that Steven.

Last edited:
Looks like a series of harmonic spikes in a fast fourier transform vibration spectrum to me..."fire spike"

Digitus....latin for finger...I think it looks like a thumb print

or

Daumen....german for thumb...

It reminds me of one of those weird pictures that were popular in the '90s where you'd have to stare through them or cross you eyes just right to see the hidden 3D image. They were called stereographic images, or something like that, so STEREOGRAPH is my suggestion.

i was thinking about top hat damascus randy you can see what looks like top hats in the damascus i think that would be a great name.thanks steve tungate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back