New Blade Technology Invention!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum.
I am working on a project regarding a New Blade Technology Invention!
I think you all will be interested in this new development for knife/sword blades.
I know that I am excited to receive all of your feedback! (don't be scared to be brutally honest)
Here is the link to my Kickstarter Campaign:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1304258917/618351971?token=1b346adf

Please post your feedback here so we may discuss.
Thanks,
Jaswinder Brar

I watched the video......And the point of this....beyond the "gimmick factor" is?????? For the price point you indicate, what practical attribute(s) does it offer a knife user?

Hello Mr. Caffrey,
First of thank you for taking the time to view our campaign, this is greatly appreciated!
The purpose intended for this knife beyond the new and novel aspect is...
That it will allow for optimal safety when using knives in dark/dim conditions...
Such as scenarios faced when fishing/hunting/farming/camping/rec. outdoors/military use cases.
I hope this clarifies and suffices any of your concerns.
The price point is calculated by the engineering behind the products...
The rechargeable aspect is proving to be a challenge...
Also the paint itself is very high quality and priced correspondingly.
I embrace adversity as it helps refine my efforts.
Do you have any other concerns you wish to address?
Thanks again,
Jaswinder Brar

Well, I'm all for new inventions and ideas, but I don't think this one is going to work out. First problem, the price is not realistic. $250 cost per knife? Is that what I'm reading in the description? You do realize how few $250 knives there are on the market already, that's an extremely high price point for production knives. You mention hunting, fishing, camping, etc, so the knife would also have to be waterproof and the electrical connection to the blade would have to be waterproofed somehow. And, lastly, the real problem with the whole idea (in my opinion) is that this a coating or paint. Even moderate use on a blade in the outdoors would destroy the coating in the first few uses. Even the very toughest knife coatings available wear off fairly quickly with hard use. Before seeking backers, you should make a prototype and do some field testing. You need to share some results first, not just a theory.

Hello Anthony,
I hope you are well.
You have raised some valid concerns that I will have to take up with the team and get back to you regarding, as I am not the engineer.
Thank you so much for contributing to this process.
I hope a well deliberated delayed response isn't an inconvenience for you.
We are going to be adequately clear coating the blades.
Thanks again,
Talk to you soon,
Jaswinder Brar.

I would rather have whatever it is I'm cutting lit up, rather than the cutting instrument lit up...I don't get it.

Just a couple of suggestions/observations: If you want more people to take your campaign seriously, I'd use something other than MS Paint to "render" your theoretical prototype. Photoshop or even a 3 dimensional CAD program like solidworks or Fusion 360 would give you much more professional looking results, outside of professionally photographing a physical prototype. Heck, even just painting a knife with some luminescent paint and flipping on a black light would likely give a somewhat reasonable simulation of electroluminescent paint.

I'd also like to see what kind of illumination this paint actually gives. I see the video of the model car, but it really doesn't give you an appreciable example of how much it could illuminate a dark space, much less an object being cut with a knife.

Another thing: durability would be a massive concern. Painting a car, a sign, or some other type of object is one thing, but painting a tool that will be contacting multiple types of material, including some that can be quite abrasive, would make me question how well it's going to hold up even in the short term.

My final couple of observations somewhat tie together, and that is price point and practicality. $250 for 99% of knife users and enthusiasts is A LOT of money for a knife. At that level, I'd expect a relatively decent steel that can take and hold an edge, and the knife had better be a practical design that's comfortable to use. While I'm sure this product will certainly cater to more than just one group of people, you seem to have outdoor enthusiasts and blue collar workers primarily in mind. As someone who falls into that group, I can tell you that I don't have many $250 knives, and the only reason I would spend that much on a piece is a)collectability or b) LONG TERM reliability and usability.

EDIT: One more thing: Your rewards are a little... weak. Even just for a $10 donation, I'd probably expect a little bit more than just an email. Actually, the way you have your rewards set up, people would actually end up paying more for less. I can get one email for $10, or 4 for $100? I'd expect at least a little glow in the dark key fob or something. $100 is a lot of money to basically be put on a mailing list that costs little to nothing of the sender. And 4 years to see the project through seems a bit excessive for what it is. I'd try to AT LEAST divide that time estimate in 2, if not even a quarter of that.

Hopefully my observations/criticisms don't come off sounding too harsh. I'd love the see your project/business venture succeed, even if it's not exactly something I'd personally find practical.

Last edited:
Such as scenarios faced when fishing/hunting/farming/camping/rec. outdoors/military use cases.

I'm not trying to be rude, but making that statement shows a very vague level of understanding/experience with knives, and/or the situations you mentioned. Beyond agreeing with what the others have pointed out, I can speak from the experience of a career of military service..... the last thing any soldier, sailor, airman, or marine wants is something that glows/shines. "Light discipline" is strongly stressed in any military combat or operations training..... the services spend a great deal of time and money teaching the aforementioned "light discipline", so I would suspect they simple would not go for such a concept. I could be totally wrong, but my instincts tell me that you need to seriously rethink your project and it's objectives/applications before going forward, lest you find yourself in the position of a number of kickstarter projects that have failed and been legally forced to refund huge sums of money.

I also feel it necessary to advise you that this sort of thing/post can be considered advertising, which the majority of knife forums forbid.... and is a very good way to create hostility rather then support.

I'm not trying to be rude, but making that statement shows a very vague level of understanding/experience with knives, and/or the situations you mentioned. Beyond agreeing with what the others have pointed out, I can speak from the experience of a career of military service..... the last thing any soldier, sailor, airman, or marine wants is something that glows/shines. "Light discipline" is strongly stressed in any military combat or operations training..... the services spend a great deal of time and money teaching the aforementioned "light discipline", so I would suspect they simple would not go for such a concept. I could be totally wrong, but my instincts tell me that you need to seriously rethink your project and it's objectives/applications before going forward, lest you find yourself in the position of a number of kickstarter projects that have failed and been legally forced to refund huge sums of money.

I also feel it necessary to advise you that this sort of thing/post can be considered advertising, which the majority of knife forums forbid.... and is a very good way to create hostility rather then support.

Now Ed, there is a "stealth mode". ;)

My biggest concern would be wear, even with a clear coat over top. The primary uses for EL paint is applications where there's very little contact or wear involved. I'd encourage to OP to grab a painted knife and break down a couple of cardboard boxes, cut some wood, stab it into some dirt a few times and drop it on the floor a few times. Cut some fruit and veggies and some meat, and don't wipe the blade off for a day or two. See how that affects the paint.

There are methods used that make a much more durable coating (powder coating, DLC, hard anodizing, etc...) but I'm not sure that they can be applied to this technology effectively, and even if they can, I'd hazard a guess that they'd increase the cost per piece significantly.

Hello bladegrinder,
I agree that ideally the object the blades are being used upon should be lit up...
Whence the prototype is prepared (soon) I believe it will prove to help with this problem.
To clarify, I think the blade lighting up is better than it not lighting up... As it will aid users in dark/dim conditions.
Thank you for your sharing your opinion.
Sincerely,
Jaswinder Brar

Hello Drew Riley,
I learned a lot from your comment, and I will admit it was a tough pill to swallow...
Some of the points you mentioned regarding the presentation of the campaign have been addressed earlier and is something I am actively pursuing to correct.
I still have not heard back from the LumiLor engineer pertaining to the remainder of the issues you have addressed...
Such as...
Durability...
and as for the price point, it's something we really want to make as low as possible, and we will continue to work for this as it benefits the consumer as well as our future potential sales.
Please feel encouraged to share your opinions no matter how unappealing they may be to me.
I value honesty very highly.
I am not deterred yet and I will hopefully have some answers regrading some of the issues for you and the amazing community here very soon.
Sincerely,
Jaswinder Brar

Hello again Mr. Caffrey,
Please don't feel any obligation to hinder delivering the truth.
I'm very glad I have had the chance to get your opinion on the matter...
As your career of military service is experience that is valued tremendously by myself (not just for this ventures purpose).
Your regards of "Light Discipline" is something I must address with the team immediately and possible correct our campaign for.
We may have better luck marketing to forest rangers and related fields.
I sincerely apologize if I have broken any rules.
My intention was not to advertise or disrespect the forum...
I just wanted some knowledge based feedback after gaining much feedback from friends and family.
Please excuse my lapse of judgement here.
Thanks for your help!
Jaswinder Brar.

Frankly I don't see the utility. Not sure what kind of clear coat would stand up to the abuse a knife might with stand. How ever they will probably sell quite well with the wall hanger types.

YMMV

Hello jaxxas,
We are currently accepting all feedback to refine our pitch and product.
Thank you for your contribution.
One of the options we are discussing regarding the durability of the blades is to use knives/machetes/swords with a "recess" built into the blade...
This recess would be the portion that would be painted...
This may be a solution to reduce impact on the painted portion of the blade.
Thanks again for your help.
Jaswinder Brar.

I don't want a knife that lights up, and I can't imagine anyone that would. Am I correct that for a $10 donation you will send me an email wishing me a happy birthday? This is probably one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. I didn't even see anything in the video, it just looked like someone turned on a black light.

Hello J. Hoffman,
I appreciate the time you took to state your views on my venture.
Although I disagree with some of your statements...
I thank you as I welcome all view points...
Have a nice day.
Jaswinder Brar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back