new forging presses

Nice bandsaw.
Should make cuts more precise with less cleanup than using a torch.

Good luck on the builds.

Boatbuilder,
Are you planning on selling these presses? What size (mashing power) are you planning on? Hydraulic/pneumatic? I've wanted one of these since I saw Kyle Royer making Damascus on YouTube! He makes it look so easy, (I sound like a old fart chasing kids off my lawn) "Dang kids! With their new fangled contraptions!" I'm kidding, this kid has got all of my respect, and the way his press worked was flawless, looked like it made his damascus making even easier, keep us posted in your build. Oh, and BTW, I've got bandsaw envy, too! Thanks Bud, Rex

I don't think I will be selling these presses. One is for me to replace the one I have now, which has a much bigger footprint than this one will. The other is for a friend of mine who is helping me put together a cnc plasma table. I will be using a 8" diameter cylinder for mine and Dennis is getting a 6" diameter cylinder for his.
Jim

I don't think I will be selling these presses. One is for me to replace the one I have now, which has a much bigger footprint than this one will. The other is for a friend of mine who is helping me put together a cnc plasma table. I will be using a 8" diameter cylinder for mine and Dennis is getting a 6" diameter cylinder for his.
Jim

Dang Jim,......you need another friend???
OK, I have to interject a bit of humor when my jealousy flares up like it just did, ( a few deep breathes and....) I'm better now, back to my questions.
First question, where did you get your cylinder? And how much did it cost? (if you don't mind me asking) My friend Bob Warner sent me a copy of his hydraulic press plans, I believe he used a part that went to a garbage truck, (cylinder possibly?). Around here it's not easy to get any parts from a garbage truck, most of them get smashed once they are taken out of service, with the price of steel, they'd rather sell it for scrap than part any of it out. Bob really got me stirred up about building a press, his plans are really are easy to follow. I've been meaning to write him and ask him about other alternatives for the cylinder. I know it's probably asking a lot, but do you think you could do a WIP (Work In Progress, just in case you didn't know, I didn't until I asked) while building these 2 presses? (Actually just one would be fine!) Basically taking pictures of the progression and explaining what all your doing and why. I'm sure there are several folks on here that would love to see it. Great information, for those that want to build a hydraulic press. Thanks for sharing, Rex

I'll try to keep updating the progress of these presses. The cylinder came off a drilling rig. We cut it down to the size I wanted and built it from there. I have a buddy that was managing a hydraulic shop at the time. He has since been promoted and now not in the shop anymore. We actually have parts for 2 other cylinders to finish building but some of the parts are MIA. I'm sure they will show up and when they do we are going to finish them off and be ready for another press when the time is right.

This mornings progress

I took a few pics from what I got done this morning.
I tacked a few cross braces on it to keep it square while welding.

Jim IMG_2745.jpgIMG_2742.jpgIMG_2744.jpg

lookin good
Couple more pics of today's progress. I got the man frame all welded out and tacked on a piece of 3/4" x 8" flat bar on the top and bottom of frame. I also tacked a piece of 1/2" x 6" flat bar on edge on the top for added strength and also gives me a lifting point.

I also showing a few pictures of some of the tools that make building this much easier.
65 ton iron worker
1/4" x 12' shear

Also a picture of a cnc plasma table that Dennis and I are putting together.

Jim
IMG_2754.jpgIMG_2750.jpgIMG_2753.jpgIMG_2752.jpgIMG_2755.jpg

forging press

I managed to get all the major welding done today. Can't believe how much weld I poured into this thing. I also got the pieces ready to mount the cylinder. I will get the cylinder mounted tomorrow and then have to wait for some water jet parts that I will use to keep the cylinder pushing straight. It should be ready for paint next week. This time I am not using until it is painted. I usually cant wait as I want to use it and then it never gets paint.IMG_2758.jpgIMG_2757.jpgIMG_2756.jpgIMG_2759.jpg

cylinder and mounting bracket

Here is a pic of the cylinder with rod extended and also a pic of the cylinder mounting bracket. Just going to pop out for a Tim's, as they were not open at 5:00 this morning.

JimIMG_2766.jpgIMG_2763.jpg

press

I haven't had much time to work on the press since we are back to work now. I did get my parts for cylinder stiffener water jetted out and I just bolted them up this afternoon so see what they looked like. Looks like there will be very little play side to side or front to back. Should make for good forging.
IMG_2793.jpgIMG_2792.jpg

very nice and thanks for taking the time to share. I was wanting to build my own press but was thinking it was out of my league looking at your build I'm sure of it...steve

more headway

Got a bit more done on the presses. I built a bunch of dies for it and deciding on how to store the dies on the side of the press. Hope to have the valve an air control installed this weekend.
I have been wondering what kind of power unit I will build to run this unit. I have a desiel welder(4 cyl) that I think I will use to power a hydraulic piston pump. I just need to take the welding generator off the machine and see what I need to do to make this work.

JimIMG_2209.JPGIMG_2210.JPG

Boatbuilder,
I use a press myself, and have many times thought about improvements I could make.
Could you elaborate more on how you connected the ram to your stabilation plates, and how you connected the cylinder shaft to the ram. I do like you solution of the plates to prevent movement from side to side and front to back.
Thanks,

Hi Jim,

I see some splatter or rough edges sticking out on the sides that you might want to grind off before you paint up the new press. Have you figured out yet how you're going to store your dies.:les::lol:

Thanks for the updates, Craig

Back