new forging presses

Hi Jim,

I see some splatter or rough edges sticking out on the sides that you might want to grind off before you paint up the new press. Have you figured out yet how you're going to store your dies.:les::lol:

Thanks for the updates, Craig

Craig,
The last pic he posted shows the racks welded on either side for storing the dies.

To mount the cylinder. I made 2 flange plates and welded 1 to the end of the cylinder and one to a piece of square tubing that is welded to the bottom frame. They are then bolted together. The ram has a hole drilled into it and the table that moves up and down has a piece of pipe with hole drilled in it and is welded on the bottom. I will get more pics to show this.

Jim

Craig,
The last pic he posted shows the racks welded on either side for storing the dies.

Hey Del,

Sorry about that. I figured Jim wouldn't be too tickled about someone thinking he should grind off his new die racks:biggrin:.

Look'in good Jim, Craig

Paint

IMG_2316.jpg

Finally got some paint on the presses. They were supposed to be Dark Grey with Orange cylinders but there was no room in paint bay while they were painting grey. We had lots of room when we were painting orange, so orange they are.

Jim

Jim, you are going to name your press "Orange Crush", right??
Very nice work. I'll be watching to see how you plumb it.

David

I like this press design. It looks well thought out and universal also not huge. I admit, I didnt read the entire text but is the mounting bracket size a concern? It looks as if it should have a wider stance to keep it from top heavy.
Man the shop you have is gorgeous!

Bruce
I am actually going to hilti this press down to the shop floor. I made the footprint as small as I possibly could but still have a good size press. I actually used whatever materials I had left over from other jobs. I built one for Dennis as well but now he is talking foolish about having it on castors so he can move it around in his shop.

Jim

I built one for Dennis as well but now he is talking foolish about having it on castors so he can move it around in his shop.
Jim

Definately put it on casters. You will not regret it. That was the first thing I welded on my base before building the rest of the press. Move all over my shop now based on the config I need at the time. You can see my press build on my web site under shop pics. Just click on the 30 ton press picture. You have assembled a great looking press!

Jim you and dennis have been working on that press and cnc table for some time . I hope to come for a visit soon . Kellyw

Back