New Pasture Wood by David Roeder J.S.

David Roeder

I began making knives in 1996. soon following I had an idea of something cool to use for handle material. Years pass, and now almost 18 years later I completed the idea of my youth. My original idea was to use cow manure, well since its a bit difficult to handle due to its soupy consistency I opted to use horse manure. It's grainy and gives the look I envisioned all those years ago. Let me repeat ! These are made from horse crap !!! Yes, real, actual horse manure !!!

I did this successfully. The material is now solid and stable to use. I will be using this material soon for a knife and will let you all see pictures. Since this is definitely something I've never seen before, id say that I am the first to do so. The handle material will be referred to as Pasture Wood. Handle blocks are cut to standard knife block dimensions. I cut these at 1"x2"x5" so to have full ability to shape to make a comfortable handle.

Remember where you saw it first, and who did it !
IMG_4271.jpgIMG_4273.jpgIMG_4274.jpg [/I]

Since we are adding lots of puns

Knifedogs where knives go to Poop

A turd in the hand is better than one hitting the fan

I will have to stop now before I get in trouble

That's a pretty stink'in good idea!
Hey! This could be to Cowboy knives, what Harley chain Damascus is for Biker Knives!!
Still a unique idea and depending on the horses diets, you wouldn't have to worry about dyeing the... Errr,
material. I do know, for a fact, a diet high in alfalfa hay will get you some green material! Hope that helps...
if it could!
Just be wary of those fed a lot of corn, it being a complex carbohydrate, it won't break down totally, so you will get entire undigested pieces of corn in your material. Most folk that do feed any corn usually feed cracked corn, which is in tiny bits and pieces, still in that state it doesn't fully digest...yeah, I know a pretty good bit about poop! If you ever raise any livestock of any kind, you will either figure it out quickly or the hard way, an animals poop is the best way to determine if any of them are sick or getting sick. I do believe your choices for "naturally" coloring the material will be very limited to green and brown...unless their babies! Then you get a couple of terrible yellow poops..., I think it is called (I can't recall how to spell it) mercuricom, or something like that, but that is that nastiest of all of the poops in livestock, it's super rich from the colustrum in the mothers milk.
And y'all just thought I was another pretty faced dumb redneck! Don't let these blond (thinning) locks fool you, even thought I've got a 1/2" hole drilled through the middle of my brain, and I can't remember what I had for breakfast, I still got a few smarts in the old noodle!
OK, I say platinum blond, while some call it gray, I will stick to Platnium blond til my dying day!
HA! Rex

I will be selling them as I get to making more in time. Cowboy style knives is EXACTLY what I had in mind for this material, you hit the nail on the head ! It should be a great compliment to the finished piece. The manure im using is only going to be pasture fed. For your reasoning exact is why im just going to stick with the stuff im using. Stay tuned, I'll have a finished knife in a couple months before the Kelso show in October.

How does that smell when grinding them?? Or is it the obvious anwser?? I suppose your making them all depends on how regular the horse is huh? You should feed them some carrots and corn and some blue berries that would be pretty LOL

Cool but not new,folks have made lots of exotic paper from everything from cow to elephant.You can find all kinds of crap made moose poop.

Sorry I just can't get over this $4!tty feeling that just came over me!

Really, horse poop, come on now you are just trying to get Montezuma's revenge, right!!!

I am sorry but I can just picture the customer looking at the knife and saying that is cool, what is the handle material, "OH it's horse poop", the look on their face would be priceless:what!::34: as they hand it back and they secretly try to wipe their hand! Aahhhh think I will pass on that one! :les:That's what the horse said too!:biggrin::biggrin:

I mean you really didn't think you would slide that one by without the funnies all coming out did you!:s12137:

You'd have to have a bottle of hand sanitizer on the table at shows so people can feel clean again after touching it.

Now that you've started this, there's really no telling where it will stop. Soon you'll have people wanting to stabilize their pet's or even their own mess!

That could get real messy if your dressing a deer in the rain, maybe slide a prophylactic rubber over it, maybe one of those made from sheep inards Ha Ha, now that would sure be something to talk about around the camp fire...Ha, Ha. but seriously, I guess it'd be OK if they were stabilized, I don't know. :les:

Thanks guys for the comments ! I'll be stabilizing more here soon, and should have some available with me in October in Kelso WA.

I have seen elephant dung handles a few years ago at the Janesville WI show. Fortunately for you horse hockey is alot more plentifull and since elephants are not very plentifull in the US you probably won't have much competition. Dan

Back