Not sure where to start

SDB777

My name is Scott, and I have a soft spot between my ears for anything I can sharpen!

Just starting down the slippery slope of making my own, during a 'search' I was directed here. As a hobby sawyer, I seem to have an abundance of crazy wood laying around....so I will probably start with something simple. Pre-made steel and some sanding/finishing, hopefully I can have something 'almost nice'.

I'll be reading up on stabilizing blocks and scales....and I'm sure things will take off from there!

Scott (thanks for having me) B

Welcome! the more the merrier!

Do you have any pictures of that crazy wood? I'm a burl junkie... :biggrin:

Welcome this is a great place to learn. There is a lot of knowledge and everyone is willing to help without making you feel stupid for asking questions.

Scott,
Welcome to the pack here at KDs. Bossdog here sells some great kits for folks like you that want to get their fingers in some grinding dust and make a knife.
Or if you want to jump right in and make your first knife? I and many others will gladly help you with any questions you?

Thanks guys for the welcome!

I will probably start simple. Sounds easiest, exopy and some sanding...right up my alley. Can't be much worse then sanding bowls on the lathe, I hope. I will look at bossdogs' kits.

Not sure about showing the wood I have laying around? I aint a commercial vendor here so I wouldnt want to break any rules I havent read yet. Which I should probably go read now.

Scott (gotta play nice) B

Here its pretty laid back, check the rules before you sell (if you sell) but just uploading some pictures is fine!

Back