NWGS Plans Questions

zbq

I just got the plans in the mail today and read through the material.
I have a couple of questions.

Tracking block brackets:
It says to use a 3"x1"x1/8" piece of bar stock and bend it to 90*

I have 1.5" x 1.5" x 1/8" angle iron on hand, can I use that or is there a reason that you have to bend it yourself that I haven't figured out yet?

Flat platen attachment:
It says - 1.75" x 1.75" x 1/8" angle iron (2"x2" is ok also)

As I stated above, I have 1.5" x 1.5" x 1/8" angle iron on hand, can I use that? Will it give enough room for adjustment of the angle of the platen?

Hope this makes sense. I know I will probably have more questions as the build progresses, so bear with me.
Thanks!

Oh, I forgot to add that I'm not sure if this is the right section to post these questions in.
If not, the mods can move it to the proper area.
Just let me know where the proper area is.
Thanks

for the platen I am thinking the 1.5 x1.5 will not work. The reason being the belt is a 2" belt and if you are cutting of .5" of your platten your are going to have problems. I dont know never built one of these but thatis just my thought.

I just got the plans in the mail today and read through the material.
I have a couple of questions.

Tracking block brackets:
It says to use a 3"x1"x1/8" piece of bar stock and bend it to 90*

I have 1.5" x 1.5" x 1/8" angle iron on hand, can I use that or is there a reason that you have to bend it yourself that I haven't figured out yet?

Flat platen attachment:
It says - 1.75" x 1.75" x 1/8" angle iron (2"x2" is ok also)

As I stated above, I have 1.5" x 1.5" x 1/8" angle iron on hand, can I use that? Will it give enough room for adjustment of the angle of the platen?

Hope this makes sense. I know I will probably have more questions as the build progresses, so bear with me.
Thanks!

You can simply bend your own brackets from flat 1/8". When I was designing that, it seemed the angle iron was a little stronger but trying a 1/8" x1" bent bracket (later) proved to be just as strong.

A 1.5x1.5" angle bracket will hold the platen just fine.

I really like the instructions. Very well written and straight forward.
The CAD drawings took me back to my days in metal fab.:5:

One thing I thought about was a cut sheet for just the frame, then a cut sheet for each attachment in addition to the combined cut sheet for the frame and all attachments. Or, perhaps having the instructions direct the person to the forum and having the individual cut sheets as a "sticky" somewhere.

I know you can't make everyone happy and don't for a second think that I know any better than anyone else....just a thought that came to mind is all....

Thanks Tracy, I'm sure I will have other questions as the build progresses.

Back