OFFICIAL FIRST KNIFE PICTURE THREAD...

I'm still working on there two- my first.

bastardfiles005.jpg

I'm gonna make more when I'm done. The work is addictive.

Firt knife? ACTUAL first?,.. ok,.. 14 years old, Uncle J.L. had a 8 inch stone wheel grinder in the barn with an open wire extension cord run over a rafter to an orange cable that ran 50 feet to a plug ,lol. He also had a cracked bush hog blade in a corner, so thats what I used, that stone wheel damn near vibrated my teeth loose too,lol.
Micarta scales(before I even knew what it was really) and bolts & nuts to hold em on.
Used it on hogs,gators and trees back then.

Attachments

• DSCF3098.JPG
    DSCF3098.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCF3099.JPG
    DSCF3099.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 68
Here are my first three ,I don't have a pic of the first on by itself.

000_0051.jpg

They are in order from left to right. much like alot of you have said I did'nt have a clue what I was doing but it is the one that got me hooked.
The third knife in this pic had not been completed , I guess I just put it there for ..... well I don't know why.
Sorry bout the size of this pic ,I don't know how to make it smaller

These are the first ones made by me and son Michael. He is flying on his own now with some nice stainless belt knives. Our local police are his best customers under his own mark.
ProfessionalHunterSeries015_edited.jpg

Last edited:
First Knife

Bought the blade online and used walnut for the scales and Corian for the bolster and red line. The tooth is an "ivory" molar from an elk I shot many years ago.

Last edited:
My first knife. I still use it hunting and fishing. O-1 steel, brass dovetail bolsters, brass Corby rivets, and Arizona ironwood. Not real pretty, but it was a start. first-knife-web.jpg

Great first knives! I always enjoy these threads, because we all started at the same place and never stop learning. This is my first knife. I've never built a kit, though I probably should have just to learn better how things go together. This knife was stolen from my home a couple of years after I made it, which was about 1988. I still watch for it at local gun shows. I'd love to find it again some day but that seems rather unlikely.

It's 1/4" thick(!) 440C with brass and ebony. I ground it on a hobby knife grinder my brother bought for me from TKS. I still have that machine but it doesn't get much use anymore. Mostly I just chamfer pins with it. :)

Here's the knife.

01a.jpg

Here is my first or second knife, not sure whitch, it was made in 1983 from and old circular saw blade and walnut from a local gun stock factory, and brass pins. I still have it, and the pics are from about a year ago, it has seen alot of deer skinning through the 80s and early 90s, never did hold a very good edge, but was a handy skinner.
OriginalSkinner.jpg

Here is my work today.
100_2219.jpg

Here was my first (and nearly my last several times over!) I had never done anything like this at all and I had no one to help me, and I'm also not usually known for my patience, so to this day I'm still surprised I ever finished it.

Hand filed from 1/4" 5160, cut out with a hacksaw, pin holes drilled with a cordless hand drill (barely), etc. I later had bought a Craftsman 2x42" belt sander, so I used that to do some of the shaping on the micarta scales. Took me forever, but I'm glad I stuck it out.

IMG_1257.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg

3" bandsaw steel blade, walnut handle, nickel pins. Profiled with a dremel cut-off disc and 1x30 Craftsman belt sander. Saw a lot of use in the kitchen before it broke.

IMG_1439.jpg

Here was my first (and nearly my last several times over!) I had never done anything like this at all and I had no one to help me, and I'm also not usually known for my patience, so to this day I'm still surprised I ever finished it.

Hand filed from 1/4" 5160, cut out with a hacksaw, pin holes drilled with a cordless hand drill (barely), etc. I later had bought a Craftsman 2x42" belt sander, so I used that to do some of the shaping on the micarta scales. Took me forever, but I'm glad I stuck it out.

Me too! That's a helluva story (and a great first knife). 2thumbs How have your subsequent knives gone?

You really have the right stuff man. Reminds me of my first ones, though I did have a small hobby grinder. But man, I didn't know anything, and had nothing to go on except I'd heard other people made knives and I had a knife supply catalog... :D

Very beautiful first knives here...
Here is my knives presented to mom. The 7.5" chefs knife is my first made in 2003, Forged out of D2, brass bolsters and corian handle. It is etched as it didn't harden right and rusts easily.
Small paring knife is her 2008 new-year gift, it is also D2, but I knew how to HT it right after years later :D . So no need to etch it, right ? :p

DSC02315.JPG

Me too! That's a helluva story (and a great first knife). 2thumbs How have your subsequent knives gone?

You really have the right stuff man. Reminds me of my first ones, though I did have a small hobby grinder. But man, I didn't know anything, and had nothing to go on except I'd heard other people made knives and I had a knife supply catalog... :D

Thanks Dave, but I have to disagree; your first knife (and many others') looks light years ahead of mine! I'm just happy it got done at all.

I've been tinkering with this hobby for pushing 2 years now, and my subsequent knives are still not the best, but improving incrementally with each one I suppose. Here is the last one I finished, my 6th, so that production rate gives you an idea of how slowly I'm crawling along:

P1000702-1.jpg

Here's my first knife. I finished it about a month ago.
I did everything except the heat treat.

Stock removal 1095.

Myknife_2.JPG

myknife2_3.JPG

Ok, I'll play.

The one on the left is the first knife I ever made. Completely by hand. Man it looked good 30 years ago. I spent like a week with quad 0 steel wool and Flitz on that blade. LOL

I'd never even heard of a custom knife back then. I just knew the Shrades I had weren't good enough. Did this one and within 2 weeks I had skinned 3 deer with it and hadn't touched it with a stone. It's pretty beat up now as you can see, but it's still on my side every time I go into the woods 30 years later.

It's made of virgin W-1 that came from my grandfather's basement after his passing. A very special knife. Handle has a bone guard, reclaimed walnut handle and I put bone ovals with my initials carved in 'um. Not to mention the dings an gouges I've added since. ;~)

The one on the right is an updated version of the same design. Made it this year from the same blade template I made for the design back then. Changed it to a through tang, added a saw back, gut hook, brass bolster and hilt and used Gabon Ebony and Osage for the handle. But it's the same basic knife.

Forgive the pic. Just a quickie I had stored
FirstLast.jpg

I am quite proud of my first knife. It still sits in my display case and will never be for sale. The truth is my first knife was much better than my second, or third, or tenth. But I had a little advantage with #1. I made my first knife in Gil Hibben's knifemaking class and I had a lot of excellent guidance, and some help. When I got home on my own I commenced doing things the hard way and learning hard lessons.

Of course you knew it had to be a Bowie.

Bowies%20014.jpg

my first knife

this is my first knife i made,stock removal O1,stabilized beech,fiber red and black micarta spacers,bolsters titanium.

P1000458.jpg

grtz,jurgen.

Back