plain with a touch of class.

slatercreek

Inlayed copper on steel bolsters. Simple but looks good. 3.5 inches closed. Any insights. Sorry about the picture quality. I forgot to mention I tried something new. I hot punched the nail nick. Took about three heats to get it to depth. I believe I like it better because it undercuts the upper part a little bit and makes it easier to get a purchase with your nail.

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0064.jpg
    IMG_0064.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0069.jpg
    IMG_0069.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
I don't like copper in any knife but that folder has art work involved !!! It looks good and that's what it's about !!! Frank

For the guys who don't like copper. Got the silver inlayed one done today. Was going to finish another one but the bone cracked on me when I was pinning. Just a teaser photo. Only took one before I left the shop.

Attachments

• IMG_0070.jpg
    IMG_0070.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 40
Yes a touch of Class! The copper and silver inlays are good practise for gold ya know.
Hot punching the nail nick interests me. I believe most all the originals were punched in but more than likely pressed in cold dont you think? Have you tried cold? I want to make a stamp with the old match strike pattern. Now that you have some experience with stamping do you think it will work? Hot or cold?
Bruce

The match strike in the nail nick was just what was on my mind. I think to achieve a more crisp definition you would want to do it hot. Problem is you are taking your flat piece of steel and beating it all to hell. Also have to go through the annealing process all over again after hot stamping. I have got an old rasp that if ground right I believe would give me a match strike impression. Thanks for all your comments.

Good looking knives man! I like unconventional slipjoints, as long as they are not too far out, your design is just right.

Ok, I like that one too! The silver is just as nice of a compliment to the light natural bone as the copper is to the amber. Gorgeous.

Just sold the one with copper inlays to one of my oldest friends. It wasn't meant for sale. But when he said it was a christmas present for his father I couldn't turn him down. He wanted the silver inlayed one but unfortunatley it was spoken for. So he ordered one anyway. This was a nice distraction from my other hobbies now its a growing concern. Oh well.

Back